Web Hosting Forums

Results 1 to 3 of 3

This is a discussion on Moving from GigaDeal account to a reseller account ... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi there - I'm thinking of moving from my current Gigadeal account to a Reseller account - but I have a couple of questions: 1) ...

  1. #1
    Kiwi Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    24

    Moving from GigaDeal account to a reseller account ...

    Hi there -

    I'm thinking of moving from my current Gigadeal account to a Reseller account - but I have a couple of questions:

    1) How does the contention ratio on reseller machines compare to those used for shared hosting accounts - i.e the Gigadeal boxes? Will I likely be better off or worse of in terms of performance on a reseller box? And what about a VPS as an alternative (could a VPS be setup as per the reseller account?)

    2) What help can you provide in terms of migrating over? I've got 4 or 5 sub-domains hosted under my gigadeal account, and ideally what I'd like is for the whole lot to be moved across, with each of those sub-domains setup with its own Cpanel ... is that easy/possible as part of the upgrade? Need to ensure existing email accounts, forwarders etc all transfer accross too.

    And lastly

    3) Is it possible to get a test account setup on the new machine before being migrated? The reason I ask is that the first machine I was on with the Gigadeal account was unreachable from here (NZ) for some reason we could never ascertain - once I moved onto a different box (Gibson) it worked fine and has been almost flawless since.

    Thanks in advance for your help ...

    Mark
    Mark Evans
    m: +64-21-494 850
    p: +64-9-846 7456

  2. #2
    Kiwi Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    24

    Hello oh oh .. sound of echoes?

    Is there anyone there? Anyone want to sell me stuff?? Would be good to get an answer on the above if someone can spare a mo'

    ;-)

    Cheers

    Mark
    Mark Evans
    m: +64-21-494 850
    p: +64-9-846 7456

  3. #3
    Ron
    Ron is offline
    Loyal Client
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    7,503
    Just a customer, but I'll answer your questions the best I can. Please consider dropping a line to [email protected] for official answers! This is mostly customer-to-customer support in here. In fact you could just open a ticket to sales through your client login.

    Quote Originally Posted by NZMarke View Post
    1) How does the contention ratio on reseller machines compare to those used for shared hosting accounts - i.e the Gigadeal boxes? Will I likely be better off or worse of in terms of performance on a reseller box? And what about a VPS as an alternative (could a VPS be setup as per the reseller account?)
    I moved from a GigaDeal account to a reseller account. The reseller machines are very similar if not identical to the shared machines -- the reseller account is in fact a shared account with access to WHM and your own "private" nameserver IPs being the major differences. My machine is consistently underloaded.

    Quote Originally Posted by NZMarke View Post
    2) What help can you provide in terms of migrating over? I've got 4 or 5 sub-domains hosted under my gigadeal account, and ideally what I'd like is for the whole lot to be moved across, with each of those sub-domains setup with its own Cpanel ... is that easy/possible as part of the upgrade? Need to ensure existing email accounts, forwarders etc all transfer accross too.
    I would guess that Sales will be able to migrate all of those accounts for you. If I recall, I did it all myself, it wasn't very difficult. But if you have multiple databases and emails and forwarders and so forth, a CPanel move might be in order. Again, ask Sales.

    Quote Originally Posted by NZMarke View Post
    3) Is it possible to get a test account setup on the new machine before being migrated? The reason I ask is that the first machine I was on with the Gigadeal account was unreachable from here (NZ) for some reason we could never ascertain - once I moved onto a different box (Gibson) it worked fine and has been almost flawless since.
    I think they generally frown on complete test accounts, but under the circumstances of your past experience, they might make an exception. Ask sales and/or pm JPC-Greg on this forum. In the meantime, feel free to access my homepage or the page under the uptime logo in my sig, they are on a reseller machine.
    Good luck

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •