Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Apf in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
JaguarPC has kindly installed APF on my new VPS. I just checked the config and it`s a default setup. I`m no expert on these things, ...

Loyal Client

Apf

JaguarPC has kindly installed APF on my new VPS. I just checked the config and it`s a default setup.

I`m no expert on these things, but what should I change in the config? Also what do I need to add, port numbers and other things?

I would hate to enable the firewall and find I`m locked out or some other embarassing situation!

I also have BFD installed. Is there something I need to change in the APF config so things work in harmony and all unwelcome IP are blocked properly?

Thanks.

I haven't used APF since my systems already using iptables, but look at my signature and you'll find a good guide to setup BFD.

Loyal Client
    So apf isn`t really worth the trouble?

I have BFD installed and configured to use iptables, thanks to your guide in the link Anyway to see if it`s working correctly with iptables?

I don't know about APF, i haven't used it.

You can check by either waiting for the notification emails sent my BFD, or looking at the /var/log/bfd_log file directly.

If BFD is installed correctly, you should have a file: /etc/cron.d/bfd (it runs BFD every 8 minutes or so)

sumacbob,

If you have cpanel on your vps, then the apf installed should be already configured by us for cpanel specific ports etc.

Loyal Client
    No it wasn`t. It was installed, but no ports or anything else were added to the config. The port lines were empty apart from 22 of course.

I`ve asked for someone to help with the config but I keep getting sent a link to the apf website! I just need some help getting this thing running properly!

Please pm me your ticket number, I'll try to help you.