Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on PHP 500 Error on new VPS in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Just got my VPS all setup, i put couple of php scripts in a www.domain.com/ct/file.php and try to run the script but i just get ...

Loyal Client

PHP 500 Error on new VPS

Just got my VPS all setup, i put couple of php scripts in a www.domain.com/ct/file.php and try to run the script but i just get a 500 error and i am not sure what i need to do to get my php to work correctly. I am new to this so any help would be great. Thanks

DLM

And look for php related instructions in your .htaccess files and move them to an appropriate php.ini.

By default php is installed in fast-cgi mode around here. That's safer. However, it means you make php settings through a php.ini file. Apache, without mod_php, cannot understand such settings and craps out on them. Also, folders don't ever need to be world writeable anymore, so Apache is set to crap out at that too. There's info about it here on the forum and in the kb. Now that you know what to look for, I'm sure you'll find it.

BTW: on a VPS you CAN have this changed, and run mod_php, if you really want to.
    Last edited by Gwaihir; 06-28-2007 at 04:30 PM.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Loyal Client
    Man you guys are great thank you so much for the reply, it was the chomd 777 (world write) that was causing the problem, man thanks so much, just saved me from losing a lot of cash.

DLM