Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Probs With FTP in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi all Please excuse the noobish query but I have nit a brick wall on ftp. Embarassing I know. This is my first ever VPS ...

Loyal Client

Probs With FTP

Hi all

Please excuse the noobish query but I have nit a brick wall on ftp. Embarassing I know.

This is my first ever VPS and I created a domain and assigned an exclusive IP to it (got other queries on that later).

I created an ftp user and password when creating the domain and I know the ip works as when I type it into my browser, I get the default page served.

However when I try to connect by ftp, both fetch and cuteftp4mac say they can't connect. Connection times out everytime. If the server responded in anyway such as saying the password was wrong or something, I'll have been happier but it seems the ftp clients just can't find the server.

Is there something I need to switch on? I had a lokk at the firewall and I can se the ftp server is running.

Please help!

Thanks

Please open a support ticket along with FTP host and username/password. We will check it out and let you know that what was the problem.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Maybe the FTP daemon isn't running, or the port isn't open on the firewall?
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    Solved!

Ron
    Loyal Client
    What was the issue?
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    Not a clue. Just tried it again after support said they could access it and it was working.

Loyal Client
    I get these timeout problems all the time. It`s a real pita because I like to edit my pages on the fly using the editor built into cuteFTP. Real annoying when you hit save and it stalls out then the dreaded...

ERROR:> [7/6/2007 4:28:28 PM] Can't connect to remote server. Socket error = #10054.
    I`ve been with a few providers and I`ve had so many timeout problems with ftp. I`m using passive mode in the hope of avoiding these problems, oh well..