Web Hosting Forums

Results 1 to 13 of 13

This is a discussion on Domain Name Seller in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi, Well I have been wandering this for a while but I do I become a domain name seller? I don't care if you think ...

  1. #1
    Loyal Client
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    26

    Domain Name Seller

    Hi,

    Well I have been wandering this for a while but I do I become a domain name seller?
    I don't care if you think this question is stupid but I would like to know.

    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Photo

  2. #2
    Community Leader jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,884
    Assuming you aren't talking about getting full ICANN accreditation, the process is pretty straigtforward.

    First you have to figure out a few things:
    1. How do you want to pay for your registrations. Virtually every registrar offers some form of reseller program, but how they work varies widely: some registrars require that you keep a balance in an account so they can debit that account for each sale, others bill your credit card for each sale, others bill your customer for you and put your profits into an account or cut you a check periodically, and others require that you purchase credits that are used for each domain sale. Usually the more you deposit upfront the better your price will be, but be sure to look check that there are no expiration dates or dormancy fees on your credits before you buy too many.

    2. Figure out how you want to manage your registration service: will you be developing your own site and interfacing with the registrar through an API, do you want to use a "turnkey" site that the registrar provides. There is often an annual fee attached to the turnkey site in addition to your cost per domain.

    3. If the registrar isn't billing your customers directly, how will you bill them? Credit card? PayPal? If you will be accepting credit cards you'll need a merchant account and possibly a gateway account if your merchant provider doesn't provide the gateway directly. Fees for these accounts vary widely, so shop around.

    You can find a list of all of the accredited registrars at http://www.internic.net/regist.html. JPC is already a registrar for eNom, so support can set you up with a free eNom account (you don't have to make an initial deposit, but your wholesale rate is around $8.95/domain, which not much lower than the retail rate at a lot of registrars). JPC also has a deal with a merchant account provider: http://www.jaguarpc.com/services/merchant.php if you want to accept credit cards.

    Hope this helps.

    --Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

  3. #3
    Free Knowledge
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    33
    If you less than 1000 Domain stick with a reseller account..

    When you over 1000 you can think about becoming ICANN accreditated and get domains .com for $6.62 and .net for $5.xx but there is condetions!!!!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bellthorpe
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    JPC also has a deal with a merchant account provider: http://www.jaguarpc.com/services/merchant.php if you want to accept credit cards.
    Which is fine, but the OP is in Australia. That merchant service is only for folks in North America.

  5. #5
    Loyal Client
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    JPC is already a registrar for eNom, so support can set you up with a free eNom account
    I hate eNom they stole one of my domains and want 15k USD so they can get bent

  6. #6
    Old Hillbilly Connie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Hills of Missouri
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWeb View Post
    I hate eNom they stole one of my domains and want 15k USD so they can get bent
    I think you need to elaborate on that statement. I would like to know how a register stole your domain?

  7. #7
    Loyal Client
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    275
    i had an account with them and i like all my domain in one or two places so i transfered some of the ones that where in odd places to my enom account anyway i had it out with them closed my acount and transfered all 19 domains i had with them to telivo. i had forgot in all the hassle that i had requested a domain transfere from a smaller company that seemed to ttake forever do anything, to my enom account after it was closed, they just took it and didn't let me have it back.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bellthorpe
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWeb View Post
    I hate eNom they stole one of my domains and want 15k USD so they can get bent
    Theft is a crime.

    What did the police say when you reported them for this crime?

  9. #9
    Loyal Client
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellthorpe View Post
    Theft is a crime.

    What did the police say when you reported them for this crime?
    thats a good point bit late now though

  10. #10
    Old Hillbilly Connie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Hills of Missouri
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWeb View Post
    i had an account with them and i like all my domain in one or two places so i transfered some of the ones that where in odd places to my enom account anyway i had it out with them closed my acount and transfered all 19 domains i had with them to telivo. i had forgot in all the hassle that i had requested a domain transfere from a smaller company that seemed to ttake forever do anything, to my enom account after it was closed, they just took it and didn't let me have it back.
    Even though I would probably feel the same way you do, the fact is you screwed up. I have a few domains at enom. I also have some at 000domains.

    There are two sides to every story. Somehow I think there is more involved than what you have told.

  11. #11
    Rob
    Rob is offline
    I am the one and only Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    It varies
    Posts
    375
    You should only think about ICANN Accreditation if you have a few thousand domains otherwise its just not worth it because of the cost involved. If you do want to go down that route regardless i recommend you contact Logic Boxes - they will assist you with the process and set you up with domain software.

    If you don't want to do this, just get an Enom Reseller Account with JPC - there is no setup fee and you just have to make a small deposit of $100 to go toward paying for domain names.
    Rob



  12. #12
    Loyal Client
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Even though I would probably feel the same way you do, the fact is you screwed up. I have a few domains at enom. I also have some at 000domains.

    There are two sides to every story. Somehow I think there is more involved than what you have told.
    It proberly was my fault, but i still wish enom would of aleast sold it me back for a resonable figure.

  13. #13
    Loyal Client the_ancient's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Even though I would probably feel the same way you do, the fact is you screwed up. I have a few domains at enom. I also have some at 000domains.

    There are two sides to every story. Somehow I think there is more involved than what you have told.
    While that is true, eNom has always and will awlays sucks monkey balls, they have have not gotten away from their "run in a garage" roots....


    I thought Jag was going the ICANN route, what ever happen to that?
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •