Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on back up space expensive, am I missing something? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Just curious, 10 gigs for ten dollars. I can probably get a shared account somewhere else with 30 gigs and do my backups there. Or ...

Loyal Client

back up space expensive, am I missing something?

Just curious, 10 gigs for ten dollars. I can probably get a shared account somewhere else with 30 gigs and do my backups there. Or are the backup servers different and especial in some sort of way? I am not being sarcastic, really want to lean the pros and cons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Just curious, 10 gigs for ten dollars. I can probably get a shared account somewhere else with 30 gigs and do my backups there. Or are the backup servers different and especial in some sort of way? I am not being sarcastic, really want to lean the pros and cons.
    Dedicated, secure, on-site backup space that cannot be accessed via "normal" connections is a different product from sneaking some space off a hosting account elsewhere, that is vunerable to the same attacks as any other web site/server. Also, you would need to check the Ts and Cs of that other hosting company to ensure that you're actually allowed to use a web-hosting account as an FTP service.

Of course it can be done, but it boils down to what you (and your wallet) are comfortable with.

There's nothing sarcastic about your question - Your site is only as safe as the last backup you took, and that backup should be handled with the same care as you take over the day to day running and security of your site.
    EuroNut (The mad Brit)
    If it ain't broke, don't ping it...

Ron
    Loyal Client
    JAG has mentioned in the past that it would be ok with him if you got a hosting account and used it for backup purposes.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    JAG has mentioned in the past that it would be ok with him if you got a hosting account and used it for backup purposes.
    Link?
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Greg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Are there reseller spots open still and can they be used to back up a VPS?
    Reseller servers are seperate from shared, vps, sdx, etc. We run each package type on seperate systems. You could use anything you want for a backup. Whether it works or not depends on what all your backing up and how you intend to use it.
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showt...kup#post108164

Question?

(Took me quite a while to find it.)
    Good luck