Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Less spam? Nice, but why... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I've been getting loads of to several of my email addresses for years now (generally slowly increasing in volume). Probably about a year ago there ...

ep
    Loyal Client

Question Less spam? Nice, but why...

I've been getting loads of to several of my email addresses for years now (generally slowly increasing in volume). Probably about a year ago there was a small dip where it went from about 100 to about 70 a day. At the same time, there was news that a major spammer was caught, so that was apparently explained.

However, since a few days I've been getting only between 10-20 spam mails per day. Since I didn't change any settings (serverside, nor clientside) and I have not heard any reports of big spammers getting caught I am a little worried that something outside of my control has changed and is affecting me.

I am not using any server side filtering methods (spamassassin and spambox off) and handle things client-side (Thunderbird mainly)

Does anyone here have a similar experience? I noticed on the forums that there was a CPanel upgrade recently which caused some email-changes. Could that be a relevant factor? Has Jaguar enabled some kind of 'forced' spam filtering for everyone (shared hosting)?

Quote Originally Posted by ep View Post
    Does anyone here have a similar experience?
    Yes! Absolutely!

My spam is down to practically zero! However, I don't know what they did (either)...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I think they are using a system wide spamassassin and discarding messages that score > 20. I think. I guess.
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    That's right Ron, on shared/sdx/reseller servers when they're upgraded to CPanel 11.

Masood posted an incoming email flow chart here:
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18434

This thread outlines the new mail filtering routine used in cP 11. Basically, long before your mail even reaches spamassassin, there are now a series of checks done, the most notable being a check against the Spamhaus RBL and outright rejection of any "known spammer" hosts that try to send mail to you.

If you have spamassassin enabled for your account the new rules also automatically discard anything with a score >20, but you have to have spamassassin enabled for that to happen.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Hmmm... To bad I use Google Apps, I don't get to witness the new spamless inbox

Although, Google does do a decent job at filtering out the spam... But some still gets by
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

twt
    Loyal Client
    As I just posted in another thread, I just noticed that there are now domain-level SpamAssassin filters and settings (which you see in your account cPanel), and email-account level settings (which you see when you log into webmail via the domain.com/webmail address).

This may be old news -- I almost never use the webmail on any of my hosted domains, but I was thinking about recommending Horde to someone... Horde does a pretty good job of offering "PIM" functions as well as letting you "aggregate" your email from different sources.

ep
    Loyal Client
    So we found the explanation. After I noticed the reduction I did see that 'incoming mail' filter topic here, but I thought that was for sending mail via JPC instead of receiving.

In the end: happy about the spam reduction, not so happy about not being notified in advance (the forums are not a good way to inform of such things since I'm sure the majority of people don't visit that regularly).

Quote Originally Posted by ep View Post
    So we found the explanation. After I noticed the reduction I did see that 'incoming mail' filter topic here, but I thought that was for sending mail via JPC instead of receiving.

In the end: happy about the spam reduction, not so happy about not being notified in advance (the forums are not a good way to inform of such things since I'm sure the majority of people don't visit that regularly).
    Sorry but I don't understand your problem.

I don't know but I suspect there are sever wide changes that go on all the time that we are not aware of.

Loyal Client

Cool Here's why it's a problem...

Hi, all!

Making changes to our accounts without notification is a problem for a few reasons. One obvious one is that behavior out of the ordinary--as indicated by logs, spam received, etc--is a red flag that something is different, and there are lots of things that can go wrong with an account. It's unnecessarily alarming to us as clients if changes in an account's behavior are due to hosting changes.

Second: With all due respect to Masood et al. and JaguarPC--whose hosting I love and whose excellent customer service I've come to rely on--it's rude to change account configurations without notice. I've spent an hour or two spread out over the last few days trying to determine what's going on with the decrease in spam, and have had to engage in ongoing discussion via Support Tickets to discover something that I really should have been notified about before it happened. (A posting in the forums does NOT count as notification!)

That being said, it appears as if the Spam Assassin solution that has been created for cPanel 11 is a good one, and right in line with the excellent support that is characteristic of JaguarPC.

I just wish I hadn't wasted part of my Thanksgiving Day dealing with this issue... and THAT's why it's a problem.

I'd respectfully suggest that changes to hosting, including configuration mods or upgrades that will have any kind of affect on our accounts, be accompanied by an email to the account holder, either announcing the change, or pointing to a message on the forums that announces the change. Clients won't be surprised, fewer support tickets will be opened, and everyone will be happier!

Thanks again for your excellent service.

Sincerely,

Richard

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I do agree with you.... but.... the number of changes that happen, most of the time go completely unnoticed, and 99% of the people wouldn't care anyway. The last 1% of the changes that affect people, probably half of the effects are unexpected....

So.... anyway, while I agree with you, I can also see why telling people about changes might cause much more in the way of headaches answering questions about things that will have no effect might not be the best course of action. That was a long sentence.

Good luck.
    Good luck

Since the result was "good", i don't see a problem

I've been using RBL's on my servers for some years now and they cut spam by 90%. The last 10% is further reduced by using Spamassassin and a firewall (BFD is your friend).

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Sorry but I don't understand your problem.
    While the end result is indeed a good one, the lack of notification can result in some headaches for those who have tweaked a few of their settings on the server further filter emails and to some various maintenance with cron jobs.

I particular, I was perplexed for a short while as to why all the filters that I had set up based on spamassassin headers were no longer working. Since the filters weren't working, my cron jobs were also useless. Masood was a HUGE help in getting me straight with all the new changes, but bit of a heads up ahead of time might have saved me a bit of time and frustration (not to mention Masood's time as well).

As a side note, for any who might be interested, here's a couple of the Spamassassin header/configuration changes that might be useful to be aware of:

1) X-Spam-Status header no longer includes the Required Score, Tests Failed, Autolearn Status, or Version Number. It only includes the general status and score.

2) Spam emails can no longer have their subjects rewritten. The "rewrite_header subject" configuration parameter in the spamassassin user_prefs file no longer works (either through CPanel or through editing the user_prefs file directly).

3) You can no longer use the "add_header" configuration parameter in your user_prefs file either. Well, you can use it, but it won't do anything.

4) The "report_safe" parameter in the spamassassin configuration is currently set to 0, and it can NOT be changed. If you're one of those that do not wish to have the entire spam report attached as a header, or wish to have your spam placed as an attachment to the report email, these are no longer possible options.

In the end, none of the issues (that affected me) were really big ones, but when all of these things change at once, without notice, it can be a bit frustrating. In addition, through my discussion with Masood, he stated that these were all known issues with the way the mail server and spamassassin are now integrated. I wish a list of all the known issues was made available to use before the change over. Then I would have known what to expect.

At this point, everything is all "peachy" again. A little reorganizing, and everything is running as well as it ever did... not to mention the other improvements that the changeover has brought about. Just saying... a little heads up in the future would be appreciated.

Masood is right, all these changes have been known to everyone for months now, when cPanel v11 was made public. None of these changes are new, they were delayed by Jag so that cPanel v11 was as stable as possible before rolling them on the reseller hosting services.

Us using dedicated or VPS servers had the opportunity to play with them during the summer when CURRENT had them (EDGE had them long before the summer as well).

I do believe that a nice email from Jag to its shared hosting customers would have been helpful, maybe that would have avoided your surprise.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    How would you expect the average CPanel customer of a value shared hosting plan to keep track of CPanel's releases, features, changes, anomalies? Even if they did keep up with that info, how should they know when JAG was going to make the switch over to them so that the changeover could be seamless?

That's expecting a lot from such a customer. Like me. I had no idea these changes were coming in Cpanel. Even if I did, I would have thought that SPamassassin was separately configured and its feature set and functionality wouldn't be affected by an upgrade to CPanel.

But like I say, it goes both ways... it's a heckuva lot easier just to deal with a few irate webmasters after the fact than a thousand "what will this mean to me" questions before the changeover.

Maybe if JAG had a blog or a KB place with upcoming and/or scheduled upgrades listed where interested webmasters could check periodically and go and look and investigate further if they felt it necessary.
    Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast