Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Memory Lane... Putty in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
So I'm fairly new to the VPS scene and I have successfully used Putty to do a few things like install imagemagick. Having not used ...

Nearly 100% Pure Carbon thecoalman's Avatar

Memory Lane... Putty

So I'm fairly new to the VPS scene and I have successfully used Putty to do a few things like install imagemagick. Having not used a command line since my days on Commodore 64 except for a few trivial things on widows I'm not sure if I'm liking it, I changed the colors and now I only need a soft fuzzy font similar to what the TV was prone to produce and it's 1983 all over again.

Is there any other tool for doing this anyone could suggest with maybe some shortcuts instead of having to type every thing in?

Not that I know of... I believe SSH would be the only way to execute commands...

HOWEVER

If you are trying to copy/paste a command from a webpage or something, you can do that... Simply highlight it from the source and then copy it... go into the putty screen and press:
    <Shift>+<Insert> and it will paste whatever you previously copied.
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

Or you could just click the right mouse button on the terminal.. Figured that out already, without it I would have given up completely because my typing skills are lacking to say the least. I'm still pecking away after all these years, I can type fast but can't look at the screen at same time.

Really? What version of PuTTy are you using? I must need to update mine or something because I can right click on mine and it does nothing.
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

Version 0.60

@DBS: The right click thing has been a feature of PuTTY for a long time.

@TheCoalMan: Unfortuantely, with a VPS, it is hard to get around the command line--but it does get easier as you begin to get familiar with Linux. Most Linux flavors offer the click and drag convenience of Windows these days via the various window managers, but those require a ton of overhead that is impractical for a VPS.

You might want to take a look at WinSCP (http://www.winscp.com/) if you haven't already. It is a secure copy/secure FTP client for Windows built on top of PuTTY. Many of us use it as a secure FTP client, but it can also be used for a lot of simple server-side administration like moving files around. It also allows you to store a list of custom commands so that you can avoid retyping the things you do frequently. There is a bit of a learning curve for some of the server-side-only features, but for the most part the interface is pretty intuative. Definitely worth a look.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

I'm using ipswitch now for FTP, I should probably look into it's fearures more. I'll check out the FTP program you mentioned.

I was hoping there was windows based GUI you could run locally that would do the same tasks as putty but easier, for example if I found a few usefiul commands like grep. Instead of having to type the command in you be able to type in your string then pick the files/folders you want to search like you would have on windows. Oh well... guess this is going to be n adventure... lol

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    @DBS: The right click thing has been a feature of PuTTY for a long time.
    Not on mine! I can right click all i want and nothing! Guess it must be corrupted or something, i'll try reinstalling it one of these days
    -Daniel

No install, its just a .exe

Quote Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
    No install, its just a .exe
    I use the install version, I don't remember why I didn't like the exe but it had issues with Vista I think
    -Daniel