Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Need MySQL Help in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Following the restoration of Draco, my DB seems to be hosed. When attempting to access the SMF forums, I get a smf_messages.MYD' not found (Errcode: ...

Loyal Client

Exclamation Need MySQL Help

Following the restoration of Draco, my DB seems to be hosed. When attempting to access the SMF forums, I get a smf_messages.MYD' not found (Errcode: 2) error message. In PHPMyAdmin, the table is showing as 'in use'.

I've tried flushing the tables: No dice

I've tried analyzing the table, checking the table, and repairing the table, both through PHPMyAdmin and command line with no luck.

Is this thing completely hosed? I have a backup that I can try to restore it with, but it would be much easier to fix the existing one.

Thanks for any assistance you might provide...

Ron
    Loyal Client
    It's likely hosed, but as a Hail Mary you could ask support if the file exists on the backup. Unlikely.
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It's likely hosed, but as a Hail Mary you could ask support if the file exists on the backup. Unlikely.
    Hmmm. That's an idea...

Might just give that a shot.

I think I'll wait till Vin DSL sees this before I drop the DB though...

Loyal Client
    That thing was hosed, and my DB BU was more current than the restore point.

I did have support upload the DB 'cause PHPMyAdmin kept choking on it.

Overall...

The problem with backups and SQL databases is that the backup system usually doesn't "talk" to the database properly.

Almost all backup systems just copy the files of the SQL database, which is wrong, since a "live" database is making modifications in memory. Which results in a badly restored database, inconsistent tables, inconsistent relationships, lost indexes, etc.

The proper way to backup a database is to use a database-specific method, for example a MySQL snapshot that uses the Binary Log or something similar. Otherwise, you have to shut-down the entire database, take your backup and restart the database, which of course means downtime.