Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Vista - Windows Mail vs Windows Live Mail in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I made an interesting discovered tonight... Been running Vista HP for a while now, using the POS Windows Mail (XP holdover) that came with it. ...

Lightbulb Vista - Windows Mail vs Windows Live Mail

I made an interesting discovered tonight...

Been running Vista HP for a while now, using the POS Windows Mail (XP holdover) that came with it. IMHO, it isn't worth a Tinker's damn. Thought it might just be me, 'cause I never used it before, but I had enough of it tonight and started looking around for an alternative.

That's when I ran across this: Microsoft gives Vista's Windows Mail the heave-ho

June 01, 2007 (Computerworld) -- Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday launched a beta of the new e-mail client designed to give the boot to Vista's four-month-old built-in Windows Mail.
    Hello?!?!?! Microsoft hated it too!!!

Anyway, I ran over HERE, downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail -- and OMG! What a difference!

This thing rocks, so far!

Might wanna give it a whirl, if you're a Vista user and can't stand Windows Mail...

~Q
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

I am using Outlook 2k3 simply because my work email is Exchange... The rest of my mail is IMAP now... I know I could IMAP or pop3 into the Exchange server, but It's just as easy to use it's native exchange setup
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

Like I've said previously, all I use is IMAP... and, Dude, that Windows Mail blew!

Half the time, WM wouldn't delete/purge the messages - and it was totally freaked by Google Mail, often timing out or resetting the connection during operations.

I haven't experienced any of this with WLM so far, and it has just the amount of features - not too many, not too few!

You ought to try it!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    Have you tried Outlook VIN? Works fine here with IMAP.

Hmm Vin, I took your advice... I downloaded Windows Live Mail and it is pretty cool... The interface looks good and it isn't hanging on my IMAP like Outlook sometimes does... I am going to give it a try for a bit and see how it does!
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

Ok one thing in this new Windows Live Mail that I miss from Outlook! It doesn't popup a notification of a new message with IMAP! Works with POP3 but not IMAP! GRRRRR!!
    -Daniel

I've never seen Outlook do that for IMAP either. It "beeps" when I get new messages, but I only get the popup for Exchange mails.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    I've never seen Outlook do that for IMAP either. It "beeps" when I get new messages, but I only get the popup for Exchange mails.

--Jason
    Weird Jason! My Outlook 2k3 beeps and pops up a notification for POP3, IMAP, and my Exchange... But LM only does it with POP3! GRRR! Its kind of annoying! Once you get used to a certain small feature it is hard to give up!
    -Daniel

Doh!

Live Mail just locked up! It is doing the same thing Outlook does with GMail IMAP... GAH!
    -Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Have you tried Outlook VIN? Works fine here with IMAP.
    Yeah, I have, Frank!

Welcome to 1999...

Quote Originally Posted by dbstephens View Post
    Hmm Vin, I took your advice... I downloaded Windows Live Mail and it is pretty cool... The interface looks good and it isn't hanging on my IMAP like Outlook sometimes does... I am going to give it a try for a bit and see how it does!
    Thank you!

You just resurrected yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    I've never seen Outlook do that for IMAP either...
    Detail man, he is..

Quote Originally Posted by dbstephens View Post
    Doh!

Live Mail just locked up! It is doing the same thing Outlook does with GMail IMAP... GAH!
    Maybe we should look elsewhere!

I love Firefox, but hate Thunderturd...

Any other suggestions?

Loyal Client
    Just curious, what don't you like about Thunderbird?

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    Just curious, what don't you like about Thunderbird?
    Flaky IMAP support... same as Windows Mail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast