Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Help - Looking for suggestions on an ICS problem having on home network in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have a weird problem here on my home network. I use my main computer on the network at home to share my verizon wireless ...

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar

Help - Looking for suggestions on an ICS problem having on home network

I have a weird problem here on my home network. I use my main computer on the network at home to share my verizon wireless with the other seven computers on the network via Window's ICS (internet connection sharing). The makes my computer the DHCP server for the network.

The weird problem is this: I can reach microsoft.com and its whole family of websites (zune.com etc) via my main computer but none of the other computers on the network can reach them. They can reach any other site but not Microsoft's sites. When I take the wireless modem off my computer and install it on another computer on the network and use that unit as the DHCP via ICS - ALL the computers can reach MIcrosoft's sites.

Something on my computer is blocking the other computers on the network from reaching microsoft's sites when it is sharing my internet connection with ICS. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

I did a search on the computer for any file that had *microsoft*.* in it and could not deem anything as the cause.

I do not want to reinstall Windows - only if I have to!

I am using Window XP professional with all the SP2 updates.

Thanks for any ideas (a google search showed a forum with a person with this problem but no solution as no one answered the post).

Hmmmmm - stumped the gang aye?

Sure did Frank! Makes no since! Have you tried a network NAT proxy server instead of using ICS? I know there are a couple free ones out there that may work better than ICS
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

This is a total shot in the dark Frank, but try flushing the DNS cache on your main computer.

Command Prompt. type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS hit enter and wait a few seconds for it to do it's thing.

Then try. Dunno really. Maybe?
    EuroNut (The mad Brit)
    If it ain't broke, don't ping it...

Ok... Suggestion

Instead of using Verizon's DNS servers, use OpenDNS. Make sure your DHCP is properly setup to use the OpenDNS server IPs for each machine's DNSs.

I use OpenDNS on my home network and it actually makes everything faster than using Comcast's!

Just a thought!

-Daniel
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

Loyal Client
    OpenDNS rocks!

When I used my ISP's domain name servers I used to experience slow connections to common websites, or even sometimes the domain name wouldn't be found. Then try ten minutes later and it would work just fine. Since I switched to OpenDNS's servers that hasn't happened to me once. Also, requests in general come through much faster.

I'd give that a try Frank.

http://www.opendns.com/

Another happy OpenDNS user I see!

Yes, OpenDNS rocks!

-Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    OpenDNS rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_DBS View Post
    Yes, OpenDNS rocks!
    We must learn to share our pleasures...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Flushing the DNS did not work nor using OpenDNS. THanks for the ideas.

I will try to rerun xp's setup and see if it catches the problem. If not I want to install the os on a SATA drive instead of the IDE it is on now and may as well do it up with a clean fdisk and install.

I'm NOT a fan of ICS!

For a GREAT alternative, read this:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=629903
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010