Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Switching to a Windows VPS in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Good Evening... I am in the process of doing some re-organization with the VPS nodes I have -- one of my options is to turn ...

Loyal Client

Switching to a Windows VPS

Good Evening...

I am in the process of doing some re-organization with the VPS nodes I have -- one of my options is to turn my Linux node here at JPC into a Windows node. One piece of software I have will run on either Windows or Linux; before I make the jump however, I have a few questions...

1. Just how good is the performance of the Windows VPS nodes? Let's all face it, Windows just plain sucks on some machines, how well does it run here? Is the console responsive? Does it lag at all?

2. Can I have my machine installed with NO control panel? I've been doing Windows server administration for a long time, I don't need any software to hold my hand. If I'm going to install MSSQL server, I'll send a copy to the box and install it myself, just like any other software.

3. How much bloatware does the Plesk product add to my VPS? I know on the Linux nodes it adds another user to the system and locks down your IP settings -- what does it do to Windows?

4. How much leeway do I really have on the Windows nodes? What can I not do (in terms of installing software, updating the box)? Can I run Windows update?

5. What kind of firewall is in place? I do not trust any Windows machine that's just handed a public IP address!

Okay, let's start there... I appreciate all comments and suggestions! I'm not ready for a dedicated box, I choose to distribute my services around and around and around.

Thanks!

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JWPauler View Post
    Good Evening...

2. Can I have my machine installed with NO control panel? I've been doing Windows server administration for a long time, I don't need any software to hold my hand...

I appreciate all comments and suggestions!
    I've been out of the Windows Server loop for a while, but I'll comment on #2...

I ran IIS for a while and never needed a CP... dittos for BSD and so forth, and so on.

As a matter of fact, this is the first host (that I used) that offered a CP. Never did care for it!

I've mentioned this several times since I've been here, but nobody has picked up on it - probably thought I was BS'ing them.

So, thank you for independently verifying that CPs aren't necessary and/or desirable!

CPs are a total waste of resources, IMHO! Dittos for daily backups, so called!

The REALLY sad part is, ppl expect to be provided a set of crutches these days, and it holds back progress, as hosts formulate their business plans! They always bend to the will of the lowest common denominator...

JagPC doesn't offer CP-less & backup-less packages AFAIK, other than dedicated & colo, but maybe they should think about it...

EDIT

Damn! Can you imagine the implications of offering shared hosting with NO CP & NO BACKUPS and marketing it as a plus?

If anyone has the balls to do it, it would be the Chief!

VinDSL Package (Reg & VPS) - NO CP, NO BACKUPS, NO FTP...
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 01-13-2008 at 11:26 PM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

1. I've not tried a Win VPS here, but have used several at other hosts, and I've yet to experience a laggy one. I would imagine the Win VPSs here at Jag are pretty responsive because of the guts that Jag put into their boxes.

2. Yes, Plesk is a $7 option. I'm with you and Vin on that one - CPs hog resources and if you're planning to run anything meaty on a WinVPS you'll need those resources

3. See 2. If you know what you're doing don't order a CP

4. You can install what you want as long as it's legal and doesn't trash the node. You cannot run Windows Update - Virtuozzo looks after updates on a node-wide basis.

5. I presume Jag have a firewall on the node - At VPS level they all come with Windows Firewall, so you can just allow the ports you want to use and leave the rest off.

Hope this helps.
    EuroNut (The mad Brit)
    If it ain't broke, don't ping it...

Control pannels are an option on VPSesl. If you don't want one, just choose "No control panel" on the order form. With the Linux plans that means that you'll be completely unsupported (I don't know if the same is true for Windows), but if you already know what you are doing that shouldn't be a problem.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com