Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Perfect RSS reader? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Right, I'm looking for one. I'm looking for a good one. I'm looking for a simple one. No bells, no whistles, no massive installs, no ...

Histerical, absolute

The Perfect RSS reader?

Right, I'm looking for one.
    I'm looking for a good one.
    I'm looking for a simple one.

No bells, no whistles, no massive installs, no browsers, no nothing.

I use or should I say, used, desktop sidebar
    Its pretty good, stable, easy to use, simple.

The one thing I really really liked was the newsroom (RSS reader)
    I could set it up so it only displayed the titles of the rss feeds. Nothing more, no blurbs or anything. when I clicked on the title it opened in a browser tab in firefox.

Does anyone ANYONE know anything that does that? that isn't browser based?
    I've tried googles reader and stuff like that and i've tried all manner of other readers and firefox plugins.

I'd be happy with a firefox plugin if anyone knows of one, I've tried every one I could find on the addin site at Mozilla that looked like it might suit my wants.

So, anyone?
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

I never have understood this RSS reader thing...

When I view this page with Firefox (or even better with MSIE 7):

http://news.google.com/?output=rss

Or these links:

http://vistamcrssreader.oabsoftware.nl/

I can read them just fine, and I don't have a feed reader installed.

What am I missing
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 01-15-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Here's a Vista RSS/Atom Feeder Gadget...

RSS_Gadget.jpg RSS_Gadget2.jpg

Does that float your boat?
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 01-15-2008 at 06:08 AM.
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

I use the Vista gadget for my RSS reader...

BTW Vin, nice numerology bookmark... i was reading about that last night
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

Loyal Client
    I was going to suggest the Sage plugin, but after your last sentence, I guess you've tried that.

I used to use this one and, for the most part, liked it. It keeps a list of everything it sees (not just the items that are currently in the feed) and tracks what is read and unread which is nice, especially with busier feeds. IIRC though, you can't delete items you've already seen, so the list can get kind of long sometimes (read items do expire after a while, though).

Lately I've been using the RSS Feeds folder of Outlook 2007. I can subscribe to feeds and have Outlook notify me of new posts which it mark as read and let me delete. I only have 2007 on my office computer, but because the feed items are stored in Exchange, I can access them as "posts" in Office 2003 from my laptop (2003 can't check for updates to the feeds, but I can read anything that was downloaded while I was at work that I didn't get to see and my changes are resynced as soon as I start up Outlook at work the next day.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_DBS View Post
    BTW Vin, nice numerology bookmark... i was reading about that last night
    Decoz?

LoL!

How did you extrapolate that from my snappy[s]?

Given the choice, I'll take Numerology over News Feeds any day!

EDIT

BTW, I use numerology for spotting patterns - Regex for humans - that's all...

I don't cotton to Palm readers, Tarot Cards, Mystics, Psychics, and all that bunk!
    Last edited by Vin DSL; 01-15-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Loyal Client
    I suggest you :
    http://www.feedreader.com/
    or
    Google Web Reader !
    http://www.google.com/reader

Histerical, absolute
    Thanks for everyones reply, much appreciated.

I've used feedreeder, rss reader and many many more (I have 13 at last count on my computer) I don't want to use a web based rss reader either, some things work for online things with me like email, but, I'd like a program (or firefox plugin) for my rss reader.

Main reason being, I already have one tab open all the time for my email, another one would be a pain in the rear!
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacrifice View Post
    Main reason being, I already have one tab open all the time for my email, another one would be a pain in the rear!
    Assuming you're running on a desktop machine, may I suggest USING THIS?

Histerical, absolute
    The desktop cap that Vin posted is pretty much what I am wanting.
    Its just the headlines and nothing else and it would appear to go to the next active feed you press the next arrow.

I don't have Vista though, just XP

Histerical, absolute
    Well thats just a wet dream right there Vin.
    That would be nice. Actually that would be ideal!

But this is for the notebook (15inch wide screen), the desktop is used only for media editing/creation cause its an ugly beast and surprisingly I find the 21 inch monitor a little to big for my eyes to take in all at once easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacrifice View Post
    I don't have Vista though, just XP
    Heh!

I just upgraded to 'Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh (Build 17128)' last night.

Come on in - the water is fine!!!

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Assuming you're running on a desktop machine, may I suggest USING THIS?
    lol, I like this idea so much , but will u donate me $5,495 ?!

I ran dual monitors for a while... until I got Vista, haven't tried since... Reason being, along with Vista came a 21" widescreen monitor which is plenty for my needs.

My lappy has a 12 inch wide screen on it... it's an HP hybrid tablet... Smallest one they made! And surprisingly, I use it more than anything, the small screen actually doesn't bother me.
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast