Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on spam assassin - [email protected] in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
hi all. i have a client wondering why "[email protected]" isn't working. Apparently someone did try to use it and it bounced. I'd never used it ...

Loyal Client

spam assassin - [email protected]

hi all.

i have a client wondering why "[email protected]" isn't working. Apparently someone did try to use it and it bounced. I'd never used it on their website and i'm wondering why its an issue for them.

anyhoo, spam assassin is enabled for them and i'm trying to find out if "info" is one of the addresses it would automatically disable/catch as spam.

thanks!

Donna

Spam assassin won't disable any email address to my knowledge. "info" is commonly used by a lot of organizations, so disabling it would be silly. In fact, I use info for my business and I've never had a problem.

Is the info address set up as a POP3 account or as a forwarder? If it is a forwarder, is it pointing to an address on the same server, or is it pointing somewhere else?

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client

spam assassin - info address

Hi Jason: thanks.

<quote>
    Is the info address set up as a POP3 account or as a forwarder? If it is a forwarder, is it pointing to an address on the same server, or is it pointing somewhere else?
    </quote>

well, it was never set up, that's why i'm mystified that they're complaing about it not working. I thought maybe it was one of those like "postmaster" that sorta "come with the system" automatically.

i'll talk with them more.

good to know that it spam assassin wouldn't be involved, one way or the other. thanks.

Donna

Some systems use a catchall account that will collect all unrouted mail, but these become huge spam traps because all mail sent to the server is never rejected. For this reason JPC has disabled the catchall feature by default (and it is best to keep it off). Instead, just create an account or redirect for every legitimate address you plan to use. These will acccept mail, but mail sent to anything you don't define will be rejected.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client

Smile

<quote>
    Some systems use a catchall account that will collect all unrouted mail, but these become huge spam traps because all mail sent to the server is never rejected. For this reason JPC has disabled the catchall feature by default (and it is best to keep it off). Instead, just create an account or redirect for every legitimate address you plan to use. These will acccept mail, but mail sent to anything you don't define will be rejected.</quote>

thanks Jason! all clear now - i can set it up if they want it, checking with them.

cheers
    Donna