Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on The NEW MacBook Air in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Soooo what's everyone's thoughts on the MacBook Air??? Its sooo thin! 0.16inches from what I read... I would be so afraid i would break it ...

The NEW MacBook Air

Soooo what's everyone's thoughts on the MacBook Air??? Its sooo thin! 0.16inches from what I read... I would be so afraid i would break it by typing!

Priced at a nominal cost of $1800 USD it costs a pretty penny!

Any thoughts?

And for you folk that haven't heard about the macbook air, check it out!

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

My scripts never have bugs. They just develop random features.

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    I was just looking at apple.com at it today. It looks nice. Did you notice the HD choices? Non spinning solid state HD, is that a flash drive built into the MB?

2 pounds and thin thin thin! Much battery time!

The solid state drive option is pretty awesome... but it also tacks on A LOT of extra money! It basically is like a flash drive on steroids i guess.

I am still afraid I would bust it if I got one... I am hard on my lappy's! The HP I have now really is awesome, I can't believe the tablet hinge hasnt broken off! It's still as sturdy as the day I got it!
    -Daniel

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to the gallon, and explode once every few weeks.

Histerical, absolute
    I question why a notebook needs to be so thin??

Now I could understand a tablet being that thin. that would be useful and nice and light but why a notebook?
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

If my tablet were that thin, I would break it in a heart beat! i like my tablet to have a bit of thickness to them... Makes it easier to hold on to... A tablet that thin would be like holding a sheet of paper in your hand and writing on it...
    -Daniel

Histerical, absolute
    I don't know, a tablet as thick as the macbook air at its thickest would be really nice to use!
    perhaps just a 12inch screen though
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

My boss sent out an email asking all of her "programmers" to submit requests for new computers. We normally have a 3-4 year cycle on getting new computers, but she found out recently that another department uses the rationale of "we're programmers, we need the newest technology all the time" to get new computers every year. She figures if they can do it then her programmers can do the same!

Anyway, the same day that she sent that email Apple announced the Air. I just got a new Dell Core 2 Duo desktop machine a few months ago, so I certainly don't need an upgrade already. My laptop though is an old, heavy hand-me-down that doesn't work well and is a pain to cary when travelling. I could really use a Mac in my office since nearly everything I do needs to work cross-platform--right now I have to run upstairs to the lab to test everything on a Mac--so I was thinking about asking for a Mac laptop anyway.

I don't know if I'll ask for the Air or a MacBook Pro, but I really do like the Air (especially the one with the solid-state drive). The screen size is a bit small for me, but since it would be more of a travel/present/test machine rather than a primary development machine I think it would work well. Plus, since it has the Intel chip it should have no problem virtualizing Windows, so I could still use Windows-only software while I'm on the go.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    My boss sent out an email asking all of her "programmers" to submit requests for new computers. We normally have a 3-4 year cycle on getting new computers, but she found out recently that another department uses the rationale of "we're programmers, we need the newest technology all the time" to get new computers every year. She figures if they can do it then her programmers can do the same!

Anyway, the same day that she sent that email Apple announced the Air. I just got a new Dell Core 2 Duo desktop machine a few months ago, so I certainly don't need an upgrade already. My laptop though is an old, heavy hand-me-down that doesn't work well and is a pain to cary when travelling. I could really use a Mac in my office since nearly everything I do needs to work cross-platform--right now I have to run upstairs to the lab to test everything on a Mac--so I was thinking about asking for a Mac laptop anyway.

I don't know if I'll ask for the Air or a MacBook Pro, but I really do like the Air (especially the one with the solid-state drive). The screen size is a bit small for me, but since it would be more of a travel/present/test machine rather than a primary development machine I think it would work well. Plus, since it has the Intel chip it should have no problem virtualizing Windows, so I could still use Windows-only software while I'm on the go.

--Jason

I'll warn you from personal experience:

Never buy first generation Apple stuff.

If you want a Mac Laptop, definitely go for the MacBook Pro as it's on its 3rd generation already and is rock solid in regard to speed, heat, and hardware integration. I've got one of the 15" 2.4 Core 2 MBP's and it's a fantastic machine.

Just my suggestion...

Histerical, absolute
    Quote Originally Posted by elflaco View Post
    I'll warn you from personal experience:

Never buy first generation Apple stuff.

If you want a Mac Laptop, definitely go for the MacBook Pro as it's on its 3rd generation already and is rock solid in regard to speed, heat, and hardware integration. I've got one of the 15" 2.4 Core 2 MBP's and it's a fantastic machine.

Just my suggestion...
    I'd agree with that.

I still don't get why they need to be so thin
    And not only that you can't replace the battery or anything, its all closed off an inaccessible!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacrifice View Post
    I'd agree with that.

I still don't get why they need to be so thin
    And not only that you can't replace the battery or anything, its all closed off an inaccessible!
    Did you hear about the external CD drive??? It's USB but... theres a catch! It ONLY works on the MacBook Air! It should be able to work on any Mac and/or PC! BUT NO! It only works on that specific notebook!

Someone revive this thread in 6 months and let me know how it is
    -Daniel

For anyone that noticed the envelope that the MacBook Air was in on the Apple site...

Some people decided to market that idea... They made a sleeve like case for the Air that is identical to the manilla folder that apple used!

Manillia Lappy Sleeve
    -Daniel

Histerical, absolute
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_DBS View Post
    Did you hear about the external CD drive??? It's USB but... theres a catch! It ONLY works on the MacBook Air! It should be able to work on any Mac and/or PC! BUT NO! It only works on that specific notebook!

Someone revive this thread in 6 months and let me know how it is
    OOOH I didn't know that

But you could also just buy a CD drive from somewhere else and it should work.