Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Suggestions - VPS Cluster like Tersum in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
It would be really nice if Jag could implement something like tersum does: http://www.tersum.com/hah-details.html so that VPS node failures don't result in very long downtimes. ...

Suggestions - VPS Cluster like Tersum

It would be really nice if Jag could implement something like tersum does:
    http://www.tersum.com/hah-details.html

so that VPS node failures don't result in very long downtimes. It looks like tersum rates are similar to JAG (so far - they only started last year) but I would gladly pay Jag 20% extra for such a service and I'm sure the 100s of customers who have faced downtime > 24 hours will also agree.
    Random Books from My Bookshelf

iBookDB

wow thats amazing...

i guess they do it by storing the "harddrive" in networked storage and then just use another server to boot the VPS images.

can we do this here? please? pretty please with sugar on top?

I just saw a demo of a VMWare cluster here at The University of Virginia and it was fantastic. It load balances by moving VMs from one server to another with no (~ 200ms) downtime. A bunch of live university websites were moved from one node to another right in front of my eyes and people in the room were refreshing the page as the transition happened. Such a functionality would be even nicer so sites that once in a while use too much CPU are not forced into dedicated hosting form VPS.

But to start with we can have what tersum does. At least that will do away with down time for node failures.

iBookDB

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I have searched that site for the details of their "100% power uptime sla" and can find absolutely nothing. Anyone else see any details of an uptime guarantee or policy anywhere?
    Good luck

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by ibookdb View Post
    But to start with we can have what tersum does. At least that will do away with down time for node failures.
    And add the risk of the entire enterprise being down all at once.

There are still risks, but a nice million dollar box from EMC could reduce them.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ibookdb View Post
    I just saw a demo of a VMWare cluster here at The University of Virginia and it was fantastic.
    Try and find out the cost of setting up that cluster.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Masood N. [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Red"]Chief Technical Officer[/COLOR][SIZE="3"] JaguarPC.com[/SIZE]

If you have a windows VPS you can buy another one as well as some kind of NAS. Then you can use the built in windows clustering service (I think you need an enterprise version of windows server). I'm sure linux has something similar but I wouldn't know much about it.

Sure, it's more expensive than if jag were to set it up for you but it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have searched that site for the details of their "100% power uptime sla" and can find absolutely nothing. Anyone else see any details of an uptime guarantee or policy anywhere?
    100% power uptime and 100% network uptime are not that big a deal but downtime of ~15 minutes only from node failure is their main feature.

iBookDB

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Masood View Post
    Try and find out the cost of setting up that cluster.
    It's probably ridiculously expensive I guess, but they offer it cheaper (somewhat) than dedicated hosting for departments at the University. However, sorry for introducing that off topic thing in here. Can we focus on offering something similar to tersum.

iBookDB