Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on VPS newbie questions in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi, I'm new to VPS and I've had my Discovery account working for a few days now. So far it appears to be working fine ...

Loyal Client

VPS newbie questions

Hi, I'm new to VPS and I've had my Discovery account working for a few days now. So far it appears to be working fine -- no problem serving the few test pages I've set up. But I get a number of emails from my cPanel every day or so. I don't know if this is normal, like maybe the machine was rebooted or something. Most of the messages are about a service (antirelayd, clamd, cpsrvd, spamd) failing and being restarted automagically. But two of the messages look to be more serious:
    IMPORTANT: Do not ignore this email.
    The hostname (vps.mydomain.net) resolves to . It should resolve to [myprimaryip]. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to automaticly correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager
    I have my private nameservers setup at ENOM where my domain name is hosted, and it looks to be working fine as far as my domain name getting mapped to my site. I haven't tried any of the suggestions given in the cPanel email for fear of causing a bigger problem.

Here is the other message:
    Native SSL support failed to pass the startup test. stunnel was started instead. The exact error was: /usr/local/cpanel/bin/linktest-ssl: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/cpanel/perl/Net/SSLeay/SSLeay.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You should attempt run /usr/local/cpanel/bin/nativessl-install or submit a support request...
    Since I'm not currently using SSL (other than through Virtuozzo panel and SSH) I have not worried about this one yet.

Can any of you expert users out there give me any tips on these?
    Thanks.

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    I would open a ticket on both of those errors. The first one especially - support can resolve then easily.

Just a quick note about contacting suppor: Unlike with shared hosting, JPC has no way to access your VPS if you don't give them a password. To speed things up, consider providing your VPS's root password and your WHM username and password in the "private information" field when you open a ticket.

Also, as a safety precaution, you should change your passwords after support completed your request.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com