Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on set up questions in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have a few questions about what happens when I sign up. How long does it normally take for the transfer? Will I actually be ...

Loyal Client

set up questions

I have a few questions about what happens when I sign up.

How long does it normally take for the transfer?
    Will I actually be uploading all of the data, or will you transfer it?
    At what point in the transfer should I notify my current host that I'm transfering? I don't want them to cancel me and have downtime for my site in the middle
    At what point in the transfer will my emails start going to your server? Will I have any downtime between servers where my emails will be returned to sender?

I'm really excited about what I've read about your service. The host that I'm currently with has been disappointing me quite a bit lately (latest problem - my main email address was down for 4 1/2 days and when they finally figured out how to let me read it, I had 683 emails. )

Thanks for your answers!!

Kristine

Histerical, absolute
    i asume your talking about DNS stuff here to I'll see if i can Help
    To transfer a Domain name is Simple
    Then you wait for 24 Hours for your ISP to update there DNS Server thing but from about that point on Your email should be coming into your box as per usual..
    it usually doesnt take a full 24 hours it depends on when your and everybody elses ISP updates.. some Could see your site and Send you email within minutes of Changing sites Others will have to wait only a few hours.. then some will have to wait the Full 24. it all depends on time zones and Stuff.. and what nots..

Now to transfering over your site.. Simple download a Copy of your site to your Computer and Upload them to aletias.. Simple I Dont know if the people at Aletia can do it.. but there a Great bunch so you never know..
    And you just tell your Old Baaaaaaad host that you wont be requiring there services any longer and that you may Close my account
    If on the other hand you had your Old host get your Domain name For you.. Then i wouldnt know..
    Anyways.. i have writen Way to much and babbled on so i hope you understand sorry about me spelling too it aint the Best..

But i will say one more then Aletiahosting is fantastic i have had one or two Problems and thats it AND they where Fixed pretty but within Minutes.. There a great Bunch and there Doing a fantastic Job!! i recomend that you Do use aletia Becouse there Service is top notch

Anyways Im gonna shutup now im being a gas bag hahaha

Oh one more thing if im wrong.. Just tell me to Go back to be Hole *nods*

The DNS transfer is different for everyone and their ISPs for it to take effect and have the domain name point to the new place. It took my college only three days... it took my ISP over four weeks! >_< Dumb ISP...

All the data that makes your site your site, you need to upload to the new host. ^_^ Aletia set up my account in two hours and I used my IP address to upload all of my stuff, as well as use it for me eml till the changes took effect that I could use my domain name instead of my IP address for ftping and emls and other stuff.

My emls? <checks eml> *sniffle* Nothing... ^^;;;

Kiwi Li
    If you see me posting, there must be bad news. ^^

Loyal Client
    Thanks a lot for sharing how your experiences went! I appreciate it!

My current hosting company was the one who set up my domain, so I'm not sure where I go to change my dns information. (they registred me at bulkregister.com). So I guess I better figure that out.

and oh, that's good that I can start uploading with my IP address - I have some cgi programs that I'll need some time to get them all uploaded and chmoded and stuff

Thanks again for your help!

Kristine

Loyal Client
    You should email your host and find out which registrar your domain name is registered with. Your host should then provide you with the password or registry key so you are able to access your domain name account at the registrar.

Even though it was your host who registered the domain name for you, it is you who owns that domain and therefore should have unrestricted access to the DNS and other personal information listed there.

Once your host provides you with the registrar name and the registry key/password, you can then access your domain name right at the source and change all the current DNS information to the information provided by Aletiahosting.com on sign-up. One of the first emails they would have sent you would have contained the server1 and server2 DNS details.

It may take a couple of tries to pry your information out of the current host, but it really is that easy.

P.S. Please don't forget to change all the "Tech. Contact" information at the registrar as well, so somebody doesn't inadvertantly call the old host by mistake. You will see all the info. you have to change once you get into your account.

Originally posted by love-production
    My current hosting company was the one who set up my domain, so I'm not sure where I go to change my dns information. (they registred me at bulkregister.com). So I guess I better figure that out.
    A simple way to remove your current host from the domain chain is to renew your domain with another registrar.

Stargate charges $8.00 to transfer your domain from your old registrar and that INCLUDES another 12 months renewal on your domain name.
    http://www.stargateinc.net