Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Upgrade from PHP 5.1.6 to PHP 5.2.x in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hello, I've got a VPS with PHP 5.1.6 installed. But for one of my apps I'll need PHP 5.2.x. Should I upgrade it for myself? ...

JPC Member

Upgrade from PHP 5.1.6 to PHP 5.2.x

Hello,

I've got a VPS with PHP 5.1.6 installed. But for one of my apps I'll need PHP 5.2.x.

Should I upgrade it for myself? is there any option to do it? will jaguarPC do it for me?

Thanks and greatings.

Banned
    If you know your way around PHP compilation and recompilation, you may proceed, however I recommend that you let support do it for you. This way, you can be sure there will be no downtime for your sites that may result because of a failed compilation by yourself. You can open a support ticket at the below URL.

https://secure.jaguarpc.com/clients/

Also, if you have a control panel on your VPS (cpanel, interworx, etc.) you may be able to do the upgrade through your admin interface with a few clicks.

--Jason
    Jason Pitoniak
    Interbrite Communications
    www.interbrite.com www.kodiakskorner.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by artberri View Post
    Hello,
    I've got a VPS with PHP 5.1.6 installed. But for one of my apps I'll need PHP 5.2.x.
    Most probably you are using Plesk on a Centos VPS because plesk uses OS provided rpms to install PHP and at this time Centos5 offers PHP 5.1.6. Unfortunately Plesk will not offer the php update officially but the php can be updated using third party rpms (Not Recommended) if you find them and fix the dependencies.

Loyal Client
    The instructions at http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP seem to have worked fine for me. This method does use a third party repo, so take it for what it is.