Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bbb in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
So after years of denying the bbb any time, response, or credit Ive whored myself out. After buying Hostingzoom , who was bbb accredited, the ...

Bbb

So after years of denying the bbb any time, response, or credit Ive whored myself out. After buying Hostingzoom , who was bbb accredited, the seal expired recently for them as well. When trying to renew I had to do so under Landis holdings and I was tempted to follow my hate for it and let it stay expired.

We actually have several inquiries a week from clients asking about the seal so it was getting checked. Since we dont have a problem ever pleasing clients and since HZ already had it in place I renewed it. In doing so I confirmed what Ive thought for years but that wont stop me from using it to our advantage.

So Jag is now accredited and I'll be updating the site with the seal for verification and reporting here shortly. I maintain that companies like this aren't needed and can 100% verify they are a for profit business.

I feel so dirty
    Greg Landis | Founder
    JaguarPC | World leader in webhosting since 1998.
    How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Need a Manager?

(pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer
    (pm) | (email) Larry, Customer Service Manager

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Greg View Post
    So after years of denying the bbb any time, response, or credit Ive whored myself out...

I maintain that companies like this aren't needed and can 100% verify they are a for profit business...

In doing so I confirmed what Ive thought for years but that wont stop me from using it to our advantage...

I feel so dirty
    Cheer up, Chief!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Qmcvt6kKA
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I think you made the right business decision, Greg. Unfortunately, "BBB" is too powerful of a brand to ignore if there are even stupidity complaints on file. I still believe that a lot more people than you think check out the BBB looking for complaints before doing business with a company they don't know.
    Good luck

I am going ti disagree with ron..

the BBB WAS (key word) a powerful organization a few decades ago

Today they are useless and you should have told them to take a very long walk off a very short pier. They will extort you in to paying them more money to "Resolve the compliant" if your not a member, and if you are a member they will extort more money to "keep you certified" if you get a compliant.... it is pure utter extortion. and has NOTHING to do with protecting consumers.

Anyone who takes advice from the BBB are utter morons and you probably dont want them for customers anyway

Plus I bet if you asked 100 People under the age of 30 more than 60% of them would not even know who the BBB was

"What is the BBB"
    "Is that a small round ball you shoot out of an air gun??"

Old people still use them, ...............

//Yes I hate the BBB
    Last edited by the_ancient; 10-29-2008 at 06:59 AM.
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ancient View Post
    //Yes I hate the BBB
    You hate everyone, you are close to being the most negative person I have ever ran into. Not too good of a representative of our conservative freedom loving cause.

Do you even like yourself?

You believe in liberty but forget one its main tenets "soul liberty" which btw you have the Baptists to be thankful for in America's formation with the bill of rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    You hate everyone, you are close to being the most negative person I have ever ran into. Not too good of a representative of our conservative freedom loving cause.
    I am a Realist, and Reality is Negative, it reality was positive I would be positive.

Do you even like yourself?
    I love myself .... daily

You believe in liberty but forget one its main tenets "soul liberty"
    huh?

which btw you have the Baptists to be thankful for in America's formation with the bill of rights.
    You mean I have them to BLAME for the common thought that the "bill of rights" gives us our rights???

If the Constitution was Applied Properly and Correctly the Bill of rights is not needed since the government has no authority over any of the items in the Bill of Rights to begin with.
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Banned
    There's a lot of people who don't know better who believe the BBB exists for the consumer. I was one of those people until I saw how it works from the other side. Now I fully agree with the_ancient.

That said, there is a lot of people under the mistaken impression that if you're not registered with the BBB your business isn't legit.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Tracie View Post
    There's a lot of people who don't know better who believe the BBB exists for the consumer. I was one of those people until I saw how it works from the other side. Now I fully agree with the_ancient.

That said, there is a lot of people under the mistaken impression that if you're not registered with the BBB your business isn't legit.
    Which is why I said it was a unfortunately a good business decision.

On the other hand, actually being registered with the BBB does show that you care about what others think about you and not having an unresolved complaint means that you will take care of me if I do complain there.

It was a brilliant business concept, don't you think?

How much does it cost a year to belong and/or resolve some complaints?
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Tracie View Post

If they think they are not smart enough to own and manage a Web Site and need to hire professionals to that for them.

The Customers that think that will cost you (JPC) more in support than you get in revenue making them worthless... IMO

I know it is a hard concept for business minded people to grasp, turning down customers, but I refuse the "customer is always right" mantra,

The Customer is right, when the customer is right, and they are wrong when they are wrong.
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

There is no Set Fee Structure, Like all Organized Crime Entities they extort as much as they think they can from you. BBB Fees are set by the local BBB Office and are set based on the Size of the Company, plus I am sure some other Arbitrary factors as well.

They fact they refuse to publish their rates or rate guides a tests to the fact they are what I say they are....
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

"Complaint counters" are dangerous IMHO: they are a way for an unreasonable customer to extort more service out of a company than they have reasonably paid for, which goes at the expense of the other customers.

BBB sounds like one of those to me: you either pay off the complaining customer or you pay off the BBB to resolve the complaint in your favour. Either way funds go where they should not.

Such counters mean nothing to me and will continue to mean nothing to me until they come up with percentages: if 99% of Jag customers is happy vs 97% of XYZ customers, then that's interesting info. I don't think this is doable for business at large though. Heck, even eBay is struggling with it.

Still, many people won't think that far, so if the fee is reasonable compared to the amount of "good press" it gives you, it is indeed a sound business decision.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

I am going ti disagree with ron..

the BBB WAS (key word) a powerful organization a few decades ago

Today they are useless and you should have told them to take a very long walk off a very short pier. They will extort you in to paying them more money to "Resolve the compliant" if your not a member, and if you are a member they will extort more money to "keep you certified" if you get a compliant.... it is pure utter extortion. and has NOTHING to do with protecting consumers.

Anyone who takes advice from the BBB are utter morons and you probably dont want them for customers anyway

Plus I bet if you asked 100 People under the age of 30 more than 60% of them would not even know who the BBB was

"What is the BBB"
    "Is that a small round ball you shoot out of an air gun??"

Old people still use them, ...............

//Yes I hate the BBB
    I agree on all points.
    Greg Landis | Founder

Need a Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Which is why I said it was a unfortunately a good business decision.

On the other hand, actually being registered with the BBB does show that you care about what others think about you and not having an unresolved complaint means that you will take care of me if I do complain there.

It was a brilliant business concept, don't you think?

For jag and hz, under the landis inc veil $800 yr , min. think it was closer to 1k and I doubt thats anywhere near a ceiling because of how it was setup. Im sure other places pay several thousands per year to be part of that hoax.
    Greg Landis | Founder

Need a Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Greg View Post
    For jag and hz, under the landis inc veil $800 yr , min. think it was closer to 1k and I doubt thats anywhere near a ceiling because of how it was setup. Im sure other places pay several thousands per year to be part of that hoax.
    You can pay me 1,000 per year and I will set up "the_ancient business Bureau" .. I can handle all your complaints
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

You can pay me 1,000 per year and I will set up "the_ancient business Bureau" .. I can handle all your complaints
    And, I'll be Customer Support... for free...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast