Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Memory Usage in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I just logged into Plesk for the first time and I'm a bit confused about the statistics displaying on the desktop. I haven't done a ...

Loyal Client

Memory Usage

I just logged into Plesk for the first time and I'm a bit confused about the statistics displaying on the desktop. I haven't done a thing with this server yet, but it's showing 4.7 GB of 11.9 GB used. How can this be possible?

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Did you look into your file manager and see which directories are consuming space?
    How much room does the operating system consume?
    Good luck

Banned
    Please open a support ticket and provide us your server details so that we might assist you.

Loyal Client
    Hi Howard,

I just opened a support ticket. Thank you.

Dawn

Wii Nerd
    See, now the rest of us will never know the solution to Hintzanity's problem, and eventually we will post our own threads asking similiar, if not the same questions. I appreciate the help that JPC Support provides, but I hate when I get notice of a new forum post via RSS, and the answer to the problems is "Open a Support Ticket". Perhaps support could come back these threads and post the solutions? The Forums are here for the us all to find assistance right?

Banned
    Sometimes the ticket may be opened in a later shift and the resolution may take time. Also, multiple tickets with a similar issue can be in the queue at the same time. Hence, techs cannot be sure if it is the same issue as reported by a client in the thread as we have no matching information to verify. We usually tell our clients a summary of the issue so it is best for the client opening the thread to follow up and post what support did for him/her.

EastonRoyce, I think you're looking at it from the wrong end. The forum is for general questions. The ticket system is for getting help with specific problems. Sometimes a user posts a problem here that should be in a ticket instead and gets told exactly that. That doesn't make it tech support's task to follow up out here..

There are some other threads on this one though: going by the 12GB in all, this has to be a VPS. They are set up from a template that has quite a lot in it, hence the 4.7GB for the clean software install. Depending on your situation, you probably don't need it all and can create more free space if you need it by removing software.
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store

Loyal Client
    Just a guess here, but I'm thinking the 12 GB is ram, not file space, and the 4.7GB is what is being used by the whole VPS node, not just the OP.

Loyal Client
    If you look at the title of this thread, I was, indeed, referrring to memory usage (RAM), not hard disk space.

The answer that I received when I submitted the support ticket was that the main server that my VPS is setup on has 12G of RAM, out of which nearly 5G is in use at the moment, which explains the statistics I was seeing. In the newer versions of Virtuozzo the Plesk/VZPP shows the memory of the entire server instead of just the VPS.

Since I previously had a dedicated server at my old hosting company, I wasn't prepared to see the shared stats of the VPS.

I hope this helps, EastonRoyce
    Dawn Hintz
    "We're not suffering from insanity, we're enjoying every minute of it!"
    www.Hintzanity.com

Wii Nerd
    Thanks for coming back and posting the final result. I had the same question, and now I have the answer!

Thanks!

Ron
    Loyal Client
    ...and I stand corrected!
    Good luck

lol.. and I was also taking it from Ron's filesystem hints, rather than noticing the title..
    Regards,

Wim Heemskerk
    ---
    Visit MeCCG.net - Cardgaming in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
    And Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store