Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Obama Not even in office already abusing Authority in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/11/0...formation-for/ this site has a .gov top-level domain (change.gov). That is reserved for “qualified government organizations and programs”. The incoming administration technically has no status ...

Obama Not even in office already abusing Authority

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/11/0...formation-for/
    this site has a .gov top-level domain (change.gov). That is reserved for “qualified government organizations and programs”. The incoming administration technically has no status as a government organization or program until January 20, 2009. The “Office of the President-Elect” doesn’t exist within the government. Furthermore, the use seen at the site is clearly promotional for Barack Obama and Joe Biden, and should have been kept at their own campaign domain rather than set up as an official US government site.

And why are they using a .gov site to compile mailing lists?
    Gotta love it, Rules for thee not for me... That is Obama's Change
    Last edited by the_ancient; 11-06-2008 at 08:25 PM.
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

and before people start the flame, note the site and content it owned by

"Obama-Biden Transition Project, a 501c(4) organization"

Not a Government organization, thus is not qualified for a Official Government Domain name, if they are the all of the other 501c non-profits should be able to buy up their names in .gov as well
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Hahaha! This is going to be a fun 4 years!

I can't wait to see what you post when they start prosecuting Bush for war crimes...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Hey TA, here's one for you!

For_TA.jpg

Bwahahahaha!!!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    Hey TA, here's one for you!

For_TA.jpg

Bwahahahaha!!!
    DAMN those are my lucky numbers tooo
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

The Rules for .gov names can be found here https://www.dotgov.gov/program_guidelines.aspx

lets look at them

# Guidelines for All Second Level Gov Internet Domains
    The following applies to all Gov Internet domains:

1. No non-Government Advertisements: A Gov Internet domain may not be used to advertise for private individuals, firms, or corporations, or imply in any manner that the government endorses or favors any specific commercial product, commodity, or service.
    The Obama-Biden Transition project is not a government firm and Endorses Obama who has not Governmental Standing until 1/20/2009.

Change.Gov Fails to pass rule #1

2. No Political or Campaign Information: The Gov domain is for the operation of government, not the political, political party, or campaign environment. No campaigning can be done using Gov Internet domains. The Gov Internet domain websites may not be directly linked to or refer to websites created or operated by a campaign or any campaign entity or committee. No political sites or party names or acronyms can be used. Separate webites and e-mail on other top-level domains (TLDs), such as .org, will have to be used for political activity.
    change.gov is a transplant of Obama's Campiagn Web Site.
    Change.Gov Fails to pass rule #2

3. Naming Conventions: Naming-convention rules are described in detail in the Federal Policy (41 CFR 102-173). Thousands of names, programs, and general terms are used in Gov Internet domains. The following is a summary of naming-convention rules:
    1. No General Domain Names: General terms alone such as "licenses," "recreation," and "benefits" are not allowed because they do not represent a specific enough origin and service. However, a domain name such as "MarylandRecreation.gov" is allowed (assuming that domain is authorized by either Maryland's Chief Information Officer or the Governor of Maryland).
    change.gov the name itself fails rule 3 subrule 1

There you have it 3 Major Rule Violations.......
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Nearly 100% Pure Carbon thecoalman's Avatar
    As much as I dislike the guy give me break. He's the President Elect, a fluid transition from one President to the next is vital. He has a budget, secret service agents and even gets briefings on top secret information of the highest level. It most certainly is a government function.

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/cha...annelId=-19661
    2008 Presidential Transition

“The Congress declares it to be the purpose of this Act to promote the orderly transfer of the executive power in connection with the expiration of the term of office of the President and the inauguration of a new President.”

The transfer of power from one administration to the next marks a significant moment in U.S. history. The Presidential Transition Acts of 1963 and 2000 give the General Services Administration (GSA) a prominent role in this process. They authorize the Administrator of GSA to provide the President-elect and the Vice-President-elect the services and facilities needed to assume their official duties.

Some of GSA’s responsibilities in support of the President-elect include:

Providing temporary office space, parking, furniture, telephones, furnishings, supplies, IT equipment, mail management, payroll, financial, contracting and other administrative services for the transition team;
    Consulting with Presidential candidates prior to the general election, to develop a plan for computer and communications systems that will support the transition between the election and the inauguration;
    * Paying for travel, printing, postal services and other expenses;
    * Developing in collaboration with the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) a transition directory to help familiarize key Administration officials with information about each department and agency;
    * Coordinating orientation activities with high level nominees and appointees; and
    * Supporting the Presidential Inaugural Committee
    Last edited by thecoalman; 11-07-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
    As much as I dislike the guy give me break. He's the President Elect, a fluid transition from one President to the next is vital. He has a budget, secret service agents and even gets briefings on top secret information of the highest level. It most certainly is a government function.

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/cha...annelId=-19661
    Even after 1/20/2009. the Content, Message, Design and even name will still be in violation of the Rule Set forth in Governing the .gov gTLD space.

If change.gov is ok, Then the heritage Foundation should be able to get Heritage.gov, CITIZENS AGAINST GOVERNMENT WASTE should be able to get cagw.gov etc

The .gov namespace is protected for a reason, this violates that protection.
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

bsd
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    I can't wait to see what you post when they start prosecuting Bush for war crimes...
    Amen to that.

btw, who cares about a .gov domain! Pathetic!

Quote Originally Posted by bsd View Post
    Amen to that.

btw, who cares about a .gov domain! Pathetic!
    That depends

Do you Think Rules should be followed ? or does "the greater good" outweigh the rules?
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

bsd
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ancient View Post
    That depends

Do you Think Rules should be followed ? or does "the greater good" outweigh the rules?
    Yes if you are a democrat and president-elect you must follow rules. But if you are a Republican, no rules for you: www.gop.gov

Banned
    I just have to say ... I was expecting some sort of serious rule-breaking in this thread. But it's just a domain?

Domain registration rules for tlds are rarely enforced. Very rarely.. Not sure about .gov tlds though.
    Last edited by JPC-Tracie; 11-07-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Tracie View Post
    I just have to say ... I was expecting some sort of serious rule-breaking in this thread. But it's just a domain?

Domain registration rules for tlds are rarely enforced. Very rarely.. Not sure about .gov tlds though.
    Your right about the commercial Domains, but government domains are enforced or were, very strictly.

It was Designed so that you know if you are at a .gov site your getting official government information, not political speeches, conjecture, opinions, or anything like that, but official government laws, rules, procedures, documents, etc.

If we allow anyone to get a .gov site, how would you then know if the 1040 you got from irs.gov was the real 1040?

if you looked up a law at in.gov, How would I know that was the REAL law if the .gov name space was not protected

I am shocked more people are not taking this seriously
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Banned
    I'm going to guess it's because your opinion that a rule is broken doesn't mean it's fact. (No offense) The site in question seems government-related to me. (I'm not an expert on .gov domains, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Tracie View Post
    I'm going to guess it's because your opinion that a rule is broken doesn't mean it's fact. (No offense) The site in question seems government-related to me. (I'm not an expert on .gov domains, though.)
    Did you see my post on the Rules and the Violations of those rules? Pretty clear to me..

the Kicker in all of this is the fact that the content is owned byu a 501C COMPANY not by government entity.
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast