Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on PHP5 Help in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hello all. I am on CentOS4 with plesk and will like to run an app in PHP5. I guess my best bet is to set ...

Loyal Client

PHP5 Help

Hello all.

I am on CentOS4 with plesk and will like to run an app in PHP5. I guess my best bet is to set something up so that one folder and sub-dirs under it run php5.

I am looking to run php5.2.6 and wonder if anyone can give me some tips on doing this.

I already asked support about upgrading my whole VPS to php5.2.6 but they told me they have some urgent stuff to do and can only do it later.

I am not an expert with this but able to dabble in stuff if I get clear instructions.

Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dayo View Post
    Hello all.

I am on CentOS4 with plesk and will like to run an app in PHP5. I guess my best bet is to set something up so that one folder and sub-dirs under it run php5.

I am looking to run php5.2.6 and wonder if anyone can give me some tips on doing this.

I already asked support about upgrading my whole VPS to php5.2.6 but they told me they have some urgent stuff to do and can only do it later.

I am not an expert with this but able to dabble in stuff if I get clear instructions.

Thanks
    Hi Dayo,

Plesk does not officially support PHP 5.2.6. So far PHP 5.1.6 is officially supported. Although PHP 5.2.6 can be manually installed on your VPS but again, it is not going to be officially supported by Plesk. Same is the case with running both PHP4 and PHP5 at the same time. You might also be charged for the manual work. The best solution I would recommend would be to get PHP 5.1.6 which is officially supported and known to work well on Plesk servers.
    I am not sure how you received this reply from support as we never ask clients to come back later because of a busy queue. If there is a case of high support requests, we always update clients and keep the ticket in the queue to resolve it some time later. Please pm me the ticket number where you received this reply so that I can check your ticket and escalate it if required.

Loyal Client
    Nevermind Howard. Someone did get back shortly afterwards to tell me essentially what you just did.

I am not sure I want to bother with 5.1.x since everything on PHP5 seem to require 5.2.x.

I am not sure I want to bother with 5.1.x since everything on PHP5 seem to require 5.2.x.
    Here are some interesting stats, if you wanna keep tabs on what everyone else is doing, e.g. PHP trend lines...

http://www.nexen.net/chiffres_cles/p...tober_2008.php
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Loyal Client
    It's alright.

After a bit of time on Google (about 15 minutes all told), I have upgraded to 5.2.6 all by myself and everything is working fine.

I backed up my VPS and then installed Yum and the Atomic Installer (never heard of either before) and went from there.

Pretty straightforward in the end.

After a bit of time on Google (about 15 minutes all told), I have upgraded to 5.2.6 all by myself and everything is working fine.
    Good job!

Botched PHP installs are nasty. They leave all your files 'in the clear' for everyone to see, download, et cetera - including your config files, user names, passwords, yada, yada, yada!!!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Gee, imagine that; if I'm reading that correctly, 2 months after official end-of-life-and-support php4 is still being used by more than 50% of all servers. Makes one wonder if a major security bug is found in 4.x if they will bow to reality and patch it.

Like I said in another thread, it can take corporations YEARS to accomplish an upgrade of a major piece of infrastructure, and a 1 year notice for end of life was completely insufficient and irresponsible.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Gee, imagine that; if I'm reading that correctly, 2 months after official end-of-life-and-support php4 is still being used by more than 50% of all servers. Makes one wonder if a major security bug is found in 4.x if they will bow to reality and patch it.

Like I said in another thread, it can take corporations YEARS to accomplish an upgrade of a major piece of infrastructure, and a 1 year notice for end of life was completely insufficient and irresponsible.
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ancient View Post
    Good luck

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Must have been a baaaad word!
    Good luck