Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on VPS not compatible with WordPress? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I am entering the fourth day of outage with my VPS Discovery plan. All of my sites - 4 active ones, several other less rarely-used ...

Loyal Client

VPS not compatible with WordPress?

I am entering the fourth day of outage with my VPS Discovery plan. All of my sites - 4 active ones, several other less rarely-used ones - are inaccessible. All of them run WordPress 2.x.

The biggest problem I've had is tech support telling me that the sites are accessible, but when I check them using computers in two different states separated by over 1000 miles, I cannot access the home page, let alone do admin work. I get a timeout error or the browser just sits there and spins.

On my biggest site, I have 35 WordPress plugins. However, I have disabled all but three and the site still refuses to respond.

I am wondering what the minimum configuration is for running WordPress. Or if something changed recently that makes JaguarPC's VPS stop working.

Banned
    Hi,

Please PM me either the ticket number or the domain and I'll take a quick look for you.

Loyal Client

Thanks for your prompt response

It seems that part of my problem deals with the ISP that I'm using at the moment - Verizon FIOS. I did not experience the access problems through a remote desktop session using AT&T DSL.

This does raise a lesser issue - how widespread is the access problem through Verizon FIOS?

Ron
    Loyal Client
    I am on FiOS and I am not experiencing any issues, but I do not have a VPS, I am on a reseller account.

What seems to be the issue?

Check that, on second thought I was having some FiOS DNS issues a couple of days ago and just set my TCP/IP properties for DNS service to point to the OpenDNS service for a while. Are your symptoms those of a slow DNS server?
    Good luck

Loyal Client
    The problem is that my server was having a lot of established httpd connections from its own IP. This was as soon as I accessed my the admin section of my WordPress blog. The only fix was to restart the server.

The symptom was that of an inaccessible website. Not a slow one.

However, it was localized to the Verizon FIOS. I am typing this from a hotel in North Carolina and have no problems accessing my websites. Plus my remote desktop session which worked as well was from Florida.