Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Help! Mailing List Question in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Okay i got my website with Aletia and you can set up a mailing list... but I have no idea how to do it! Can ...

Loyal Client

Help! Mailing List Question

Okay i got my website with Aletia and you can set up a mailing list... but I have no idea how to do it!

Can someone please please explain to me as if I'm a 2 year old how i can set one up ???

I've 'created' the list ... now i need to know

1. what html do i use to put on my page so visitors can sign up?

2. how do i send a message out to people that have signed up and from what email addy?

3. I have an old mailing list full of names that i got from listbot.com before they closed... i can just add those names again can't I??

Any help is most greatly appreciated... so yeah walk me through step by step .. 2 year old

Thanks in advance ... !!!

Loyal Client
    I'll try to help as best I can!

1. Once you created your mailing list, you should have received an e-mail from the system telling you the list was established.

Check the headers on that message, they give a lot of useful information including the list posting address and the address to get help info about the list.

That message should give you an e-mail address for the users of your list -- something like

http://machinename.nocdns.com/mailma...yourdomain.com

Of course in all cases here you need to replace the "machinename.nocdns" and "machine.name" and "yourlistname" and "listname" and "yourdomain.com" with your actual machine, list, domain etc.

You should be able to put a link on your page to that page, and people can sign up.

Alternatively, you should be able to put a link to the subscribe e-mail address. I am not positive, but I believe it is

mailto:[email protected]?subject=subscri be

2. I believe you post to your list by sending to the e-mail address

[email protected]

From what address depends on how you set up your list, whether only the administrative address can send messages or any member can.

3. From the control panel's mailing list manager option, you should be able to go into your mailing list by selecting Edit next to the name of your existing list. Under configuration categories, choose membership management. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a box labelled "Mass Subscribe Members." There you can enter a whole bunch of people to subscribe to your list, one address per line.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

Loyal Client
    It would be nice however to be able to disable, or fix, the 'list' command sent to [email protected]_domain.tld

which unfortunately returns all the lists hosted at nocdns !

-Maynard

Loyal Client

alright..

thanks so much for your help!

I understood most of it ... but when i created my list i never got an e-mail with that 'useful info' in them.

I think i got how to send out a message to members and how to mass add members but i still need to know what html i need to use to have people sign up at my site.

thanks a million for your help again!

hell no, we won't go!
    did you check your default email box? Usually it is [email protected]
    - Colin

I like food.

Loyal Client

Re: alright..

Originally posted by Untouchable
    i still need to know what html i need to use to have people sign up at my site.
    If everything is set up correctly it should be
    http://your-domain.tld/mailman/listinfo/your-listname_your-domain.tld

You may need to add a member first, in order for everything to set up; I'm not certain of this, but do it anyway.

-Maynard