Our forum Area

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Question: Has a smart person ever contracted Alzheimers, so called ??? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Just curious... From what I've seen (and experienced) they're all a bunch of dumb asses turned dumber... For instance, my mother-in-law was always dumb as ...

Question: Has a smart person ever contracted Alzheimers, so called ???

Just curious...

From what I've seen (and experienced) they're all a bunch of dumb asses turned dumber...

For instance, my mother-in-law was always dumb as a rock, but extremely nice. She always asked you stupid questions, over n' over again, and hid her stupidity with grace and elegance. Now she's dumber than a rock and still extremely nice, and asking stupid questions -- Alzheimers, or so they say, because she can't draw the hands on a clock.

Personally, I think she's dumb, nice, and asks a lot of stupid questions - just like she always did - but she's too stupid to die, and it's pissing everyone off!

Whatta ya think?

Dude, I've always said this...

If you take care of yourself, all you're doing is guaranteeing that you'll die of some horrible disease - like being sooo dumb that you can't remember how to swallow - and that's what's gonna happen to her - I can feel it in my bones. She'll asphyxiate on a piece of bread, or something.

Such a shame, really - that she took care of herself...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL © 2010

all about nothing! Frank Broughton's Avatar
    President Reagan was no dummy!

I dunno... It's a very strange disease!

Memory loss, followed by dementia and total confusion.

Hrm...

Insoluble plaque seems to be causing a majority of the problem - and MANY things contribute to these lesions.

I think the answer is going to come from within...

I think I'll work on it!
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

Hey vinnie think of the bright side of this - if only dummies get that dreaded disease you are safe right?

Hence, my question...

Loyal Client
    Your question got me thinking about the potential relationship between IQ and Alzheimer's. Years ago I witnessed the disease slowly destroy an intelligent and lively woman - my grandmother.

My first reaction to your question was it would be unlikely that any scientific studies had been done due to the long time spans involved and the relatively recent focus on the disease.

But a quick search found the following links listed below - although not specific to your question, I think closely related. My synopsis from these articles is that while earlier assessed IQ may be inversely related to the incidence of some forms of dementia, such is not the case with Alzheimer's. Further, it would appear that intelligent people who do get the disease are more capable at hiding the early symptoms, preventing early diagnosis and treatment, ultimately leading to a quicker decline when the disease is finally diagnosed.

Alzheimer's disease: Does high IQ slow progression?

Columbia Study Suggests High IQ Hides Alzheimer's

High School Achievers Less Likely to Develop Alzheimer's Disease

High IQ may cut dementia risk

FOR OLDER PEOPLE WITH HIGH IQ’S, MORE SENSITIVE TEST NORMS BETTER PREDICT WHO MIGHT DEVELOP ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE

My experience with my grandmother was that it was very frustrating and depressing to see her decline, and devastating when she appeared no longer to remember me. Curses on this disease

Sorry to hear your grandma had to go through that Don. Yes curses on that dreaded disease and many others too!

My mother has Alzheimer's. Mom is not a genius, but I assure you she is not dumb.

Mom's short term memory has deteriorated greatly over the last two years. At this time her long term memory is still pretty good.

I don't think intelligence has anything to do with who develops Alzheimer's, and who doesn't.

Vin I think your as likely to get Alzheimer's in your later years as anyone.

Personally I think your post demonstrates just how stupid so called intelligent people can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Vin I think your as likely to get Alzheimer's in your later years as anyone...
    Yes and no...

66.6% (2/3) of Alzheimer's patients are white women!

I'm more or less white (got a little injun blood in me) but I don't think I have many feminine attributes.

That said, we're all born of woman... sooo who knows?

Would that make you happy?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Don McLeod View Post
    My first reaction to your question was it would be unlikely that any scientific studies had been done due to the long time spans involved and the relatively recent focus on the disease.
    Thank you for your comments and links, Don!

Personally, I don't think I'm that 'smart'. If I was, I could stop Alzheimer's in it tracks. Hell, it might be something as simple as that stinking ^%$# aerosol hairspray women use - and men are suffering 'second-hand smoke' effects.

I digress: I figured out that gravity is a 'push', not a 'pull'. And, God's frequency is 0Hz. These things seem so commonsensical to me, that I can't understand why brillant, wonderful, ppl can't figure it out too, but...

This Alzheimer's thing has me mystified. The only thing that makes sense (to me) is the formation of lesions - which is probably a byproduct of inflammation in the brain. Not to beat a dead horse, but wouldn't huffing hairspray on a regular basis, for years, produce brain inflammation - not to mention the poisonous fingernail polish removers they use - or the perfume, blah, blah, blah?

All these tests, so called, don't mean jack, IMHO. Testing, like everything else in life, follows a Bell Curve - and to be 'fair', the results should be judged on a curve.

Your links indicate that others are thinking in the same line as moi, and that's encouraging...

Anyway, thanks again!

I digress: I figured out that gravity is a 'push', not a 'pull'. [...] I can't understand why brillant, wonderful, ppl can't figure it out too, but...
    They called it General Relativity.

66.6% (2/3) of Alzheimer's patients are white women!
    That would most likely be a function of life expectancy.

All these tests, so called, don't mean jack, IMHO. Testing, like everything else in life, follows a Bell Curve - and to be 'fair', the results should be judged on a curve.
    And anything with a confidence interval of 95% should be thrown back in the water and asked to evolve some.

Quote Originally Posted by homoludens View Post

ohh, snap!

Also, if God's frequency is 0Hz wouldn't that mean God doesn't exist (or at the very least has no frequency since if you are emitting a signal 0 times a second you are not emitting a signal at all)?
    Last edited by Pawel Kowalski; 05-26-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by homoludens View Post
    Nope! They still got it wrong...

That was one of the biggest disappointments in my life!

I was working on General Relativity (never heard of it) in 8th grade - when a teacher informed me that Einstein had already figured it out - kinda like you just did. I was crushed! The only thing that didn't make sense was Einstein's time/space components. They didn't make sense then, and they don't make sense now.

Time doesn't exist in the physical realm. It's a gauge for measuring the space between terrestrial events. That's how it started, and that's how it remains!

Newton was mostly right - gravity is celestial - he just couldn't piece it together. Einstein is the one that screwed up!

Anyway, I finally figured it out, so no (ahem) matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Kowalski View Post
    ohh, snap!

Also, if God's frequency is 0Hz wouldn't that mean God doesn't exist (or at the very least has no frequency since if you are emitting a signal 0 times a second you are not emitting a signal at all)?
    Dude, God is a spiritual being and the only omnipotent entity in the universe, AFAIK.

If you factor in 0Hz as His frequency, in the whole scheme of things, everything works out perfectly!

What would you conjure His frequency to be, heathen?!?!?

GPS satellites prove that Einstein was right so Vin maybe you can post links to the papers you published on this subject? Once I see those I might be more inclined to belive that you are that much smarter than Einstein.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast