Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Google Apps and MX Records in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm new to all of this so please excuse any ignorant questions. I have a shared account and the domain in question is an add-on ...

Loyal Client

Google Apps and MX Records

I'm new to all of this so please excuse any ignorant questions.

I have a shared account and the domain in question is an add-on domain to my main domain, i.e. addon.com = addon.main.com.

I created a new email address and wanted to use Google Apps with it. I was instructed to change the MX records for my domain, setting duplicate priorities for different records, i.e. priority 5 = record A, priorit 5 = record B.

Unfortunately, I discovered that after setting record A to priority 5, I could not set record B to priority 5 as well without overwriting record A. So instead, I set record A to priority 4.

I created duplicate records for both addon.main.com and addon.com domains.

The MX records appear to have propagated according to the tool provided by Google in their walkthrough for this process. However, email to and from my new address is delayed up to 2 hours or email is never received, e.g. when updating my email address for a site I never get the confirmation email.

Is there something I'm missing or is the fact that I'm using an add-on domain causing the issue? I appreciate any help you can give.

There is no issue in setting the MX records to use Google Apps for addon domain,s. All you have to do is to update the DNS records in the Zone file for that particular Addon domain. You can also get an idea from the link below.

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/...y?answer=33915

If you experience any problem then please feel free to open a support ticket , so that we can assist you more efficiently.
    Regards;
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Sienna"][COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Shaun[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    System Support Engineer
    JaguarPC Technologies LLC

Loyal Client
    Hi Shaun. Thanks for getting back to me. I undid everything so it's no longer an issue.

My current problem is that I use wordpress on my domain and if you're familiar with it, you know that it creates what I assume are virtual directories. That way I can have a url like:

http://www.workingauthor.com/category/film/

without having to actually make a physical directory "category." Anyway, this is related to my Google Apps issue because I requested a CNAME record change to point "mail" to "ghs.google.com" and after the DNS propagated overnight my links now point to physical directories rather than the wordpress virtual ones. I've requested the CNAME record to be removed in a support ticket and I've been told that it has and that I just need to wait for the DNS to propagate again. However, I'm not entirely sure the CNAME record is the problem. Any ideas?

Loyal Client
    Nevermind, everything is working again.