Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on need advice in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum

Loyal Client

need advice

Hi,

I‘ve bought a VPS One hosting plan but I have basically no knowledge about how to run it. My website transfer from another host has gone well so far.

I have only one website that will be hosted on the server and I want the website to use all the server’s resources (bandwidth, diskspace, ram etc). I wonder if I have to make some settings in order for that to be possible, - or this will be automatic. I ask that because I saw that it is possible to increase/decrease the diskspace. Is the same with bandwidth and ram?

And another question: Is there anything I have take in consideration/ think about while I use the VPS? I need some tips from you who already have some experience.

Thanx

Nearly 100% Pure Carbon thecoalman's Avatar
    Which control panel?

If it's plesk login as admin,

Click domains on the left >> Click your domain >> Click limits

You may also want to look under the setup tab for other options like enabling or disabling php etc. If you not using any of these services disable them.

All the accounts on the VPS share the same resources. The diskspace quota assigned to your VPS is according to the plan you have signed up. Now you can setup your accounts separately as per their disk space requirements but the overall disk space assigned to the VPS will remain the same and every account will get a share of its disk space as defined by you.

It would be more appropriate if you open a ticket in the support department so that we can check which control panel is installed on your VPS and then assist you accordingly in a more efficient manner.
    Regards;
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Sienna"][COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Shaun[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    System Support Engineer
    JaguarPC Technologies LLC

Loyal Client
    Thank you for your answer. I've never had a VPS and I need to learn how to manage it.
    My VPS One has 25 GB Disk Space, 320 MB RAM, 300 GB bandwidth. I saw that on a VPS you can have multiple website accounts and that you can adjust the amount of disk space and bandwidth for everyone of them. Can you adjust the RAM and CPU too?

I have only one website and I want to ensure that it gets all the resources. Does the website automatically use 320 Mb RAM or do I have to increase it as I did with the Disk space and Bandwidth?

Right now I just move around in the admin panel to familiarize myself with it. It is a cPanel. As I stated before I have very little knowledge in servers. I don’t want to send tickets to the staff as I don’t encounter any issues with the VPS.
    I just need advice from you, tips about how to use the server in order for my website to work properly and have a good speed. (I don’t say the speed is bad)

Thanx

You can have multiple accounts/websites on your vps and you can adjust Disk space and Bandwidth for each account. But CPU and RAM resources cannot be adjustable for accounts. As RAM and CPU resources are consumed by services not account (e.g Apache, MySQL and Exim Mail service). Operating System and control panel services will also be consuming CPU and Ram resources.

You can monitor your vps manually to find out which process or service is utilizing high CPU memory resources and for which account. There can be custom scripts for monitoring server.

If you have a single website on your vps then normally it will be running fine and smoothly. However it depends on your website, there is how much traffic for your website and how much php scripts are consuming RAM and CPU resources.
    Regards,
    Stefan
    Jaguar Technologies, LLC
    [url]http://JaguarPC.com[/url]

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Stefan View Post
    You can have multiple accounts/websites on your vps and you can adjust Disk space and Bandwidth for each account. But CPU and RAM resources cannot be adjustable for accounts. As RAM and CPU resources are consumed by services not account (e.g Apache, MySQL and Exim Mail service). Operating System and control panel services will also be consuming CPU and Ram resources.

You can monitor your vps manually to find out which process or service is utilizing high CPU memory resources and for which account. There can be custom scripts for monitoring server.

If you have a single website on your vps then normally it will be running fine and smoothly. However it depends on your website, there is how much traffic for your website and how much php scripts are consuming RAM and CPU resources.
    This was the answer I was looking for. That clarifies a lot. So, if I disable some applications I don’t use, then the website might run faster?
    Last edited by Kata; 08-06-2009 at 02:36 AM.

If your website is loading slow due to load on your vps then you have to monitor your vps to find out which application/service is consuming CPU/Memory resources. And if you are disabling a service/application you don't want to use and if it is consuming CPU/Memory resources then it will probably increase the speed of your website.
    Regards,
    Stefan
    Jaguar Technologies, LLC
    [url]http://JaguarPC.com[/url]