Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Tomcat server and Apache Solr Search in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I noticed while browsing through my Plesk control panel that Tomcat is available. I am considering running Apache Solr search for my Drupal site and ...

Loyal Client

Tomcat server and Apache Solr Search

I noticed while browsing through my Plesk control panel that Tomcat is available. I am considering running Apache Solr search for my Drupal site and it requires for it to be run on Tomcat. Apache Solr will provide faceted search.

Is the Tomcat ready to run Apache solr? How do I set it up? Is it just a matter of installing Apache Solr onto Tomcat and starting the server up?

Is using Tomcat free ie. comes with monthly VPS service?

Tomcat itself doesn't come with license fees and on a VPS you're free to run what you like, so no cost there.

You might have to tweak Solr though, depending on your site and needs. Searching, indexing and keeping those indexes readily available loves memory, so out of the box Solr may well be more memory hungry than an average VPS can handle.

Loyal Client
    Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some research, and many recommend running the search server on its on separate server ie. a VPS just for Tomcat/Solr. I was just checking out my options. I am no way near the stage where I would need such search functionality nor the traffic to justify the expenditure on another server.

Is it just a matter of installing Solr onto Tomcat and then turning it on? Drupal has a dedicated module for working with Apache Solr.