Web Hosting Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is a discussion on Considering Hybrid Server in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Originally Posted by Vin DSL I agree. Hybrid rocks. ...

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin DSL View Post
    I agree. Hybrid rocks.

My personal experience hasn't been too good personally.

I've recently downgraded from a dedicated server to a VPS enterprise to save operating cost. While overall performance is alright, there has been some occasional load spikes that wasn't fault of my site (because I didn't relocate my site yet at the time). Whenever the load spike hit, my site would hang for a good 5 seconds which I've never experienced with a dedicated.

Perhaps, I am too spoiled by having a dedicated server for 5+ years.

All in all, I am thinking of going back to my cancellation submitted dedicated server.
    Last edited by klisis; 06-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    I've been with Jag since 2001.

JPC Dream Team
    Hi klisis,
    I'm sorry to hear about the performance issue with your hybrid, if you submit a ticket to support they will be glad to look into it. There's a possibility they can identify the issue and resolve it.

In the end a hybrid is a shared environment so you are welcome to go back to your dedicated server if that's your decision. Just let us know which way you want to go, as the dedicated server will be cancelled soon if you submitted a cancellation request recently.
    Ross P
    Customer Service Representative

How are we doing? Tell us at [email protected].

Yes, I've moved back to my dedicated server. It was a bargain server I got from Jag some years ago and its spec is no where close to the powerful spec of the VPS, but it seems the biggest advantage of a dedicated server, even if it's much less powerful, is that, well, it's dedicated to only to you and I can pinpoint what is going wrong with load if such happens on my own instead of relying on tickets which may or may not work.

By the way, is Jag on holiday or something? I've been trying to get in touch with him.

Banned
    Hi Klisis,
    Sorry to hear that the hybrid didn't work out for you as well as had been hoped. Let us know if you need any additional assistance but at this point it seems that your dedicated server is giving you the performance and control that you need and expect.

Yeah, well, please close ticket 13540204 . It's the cancellation request of my dedicated server.

And restore my dedicated account from hold to active again.

I've submitted cancellation request for the vps. It was neat to see 10% discount offer.
    Last edited by klisis; 06-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.

JPC Dream Team
    Hi klisis,
    I see this has been taken care of for you. Feel free to contact us again if you need anything else.
    Ross P

As you've seen my response to the cancellation ticket, I've cancelled both of my cancellations right now and will evaluate the VPS for one more week before making my final decision.

I really want to downgrade. The cost saving per month is 30 USD which becomes a lot if counted annually.

JPC Dream Team
    That's understandable, it's a lot of money to be saved in the long run. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you with your decision.
    Ross P

I've used shared hosting with Jag back in early 2001 before Jag moved to me semi-dedicated. I think it was around 2003 or 4 when Jag (personally after having a toe surgery) moved my site to a dedicated server.

So, I don't have a good overall knowledge over VPS. I did my share of researches on the subject but few questions still remain.

The VPS is on ignotus3.nocdirect.com and I see load spikes from time to time when there is nothing on my account. The server load goes up to 1.00 for 5 ~ 15 seconds before the load becomes 0.00 completely.

When I moved my site, when the load spike hit, server load became 1.60+ which caused my site to become slower. I would like to know what is causing the load spike.

The load spike happens most frequently during USA prime time and I've experienced no such load spike during night time and morning.
    Last edited by klisis; 06-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.

JPC Dream Team
    Please feel free to submit a ticket to support and they will be glad to look into it.
    Ross P

I am actually waiting Jag to respond my PM. I asked this before: Is he on holiday or something? I can't get a hold of him.

His reply to my PM will be a deciding factor in which account I will keep.

JPC Dream Team
    Greg is not on holiday, please allow some more time for him to respond. He is very busy and occasionally needs to take short business trips, thanks for your patience.
    Ross P

JPC Dream Team
    Actually I see Greg replied to another thread less than 20 minutes ago, he should be replying to your PM soon, if not already.
    Ross P

Quote Originally Posted by klisis View Post
    The VPS is on ignotus3.nocdirect.com and I see load spikes from time to time when there is nothing on my account. The server load goes up to 1.00 for 5 ~ 15 seconds before the load becomes 0.00 completely.[...]
    Not being a wiseguy here, but...

Personally, I'd be more worried about the server load being "0.00 completely" than "1.00".

Just saying...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast