Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

This is a discussion on Speed Tests in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hey guys, Recently, I've been having problems with my net and it prompted me to do a little more monitoring of my connection than I ...

JPC Senior Member

Speed Tests

Hey guys,
    Recently, I've been having problems with my net and it prompted me to do a little more monitoring of my connection than I usually do, one of which involves speed testing it on a regullar basis to ensure I get a consistant download / upload speed. It got me thinking...Lets test the users of the Jag forums and see what they all get and if they are getting what they are paying for!

Here is the format we will do this. Provider name and the plan you are on, ping, download, upload and finally server location.

For this test, I am using Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Provider: AT&T HighSpeed DSL @ 6.0Mbps / 768kbps
    Ping: 28
    Download: 5.09Mbps
    Upload: 0.63Mbps
    Server Location: Houston (about 50mi from me)

Lets see who has the fastest connection - Nobody use their Jag VPS or dedicateds to do this test!
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]James G
    Customer Service Representative
    Follow Me On Twitter - [url]http://twitter.com/JPCJamesG[/url]

JaguarPC - [url]http://www.jaguarpc.com[/url][/COLOR]

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Near me:

Between Atlanta and me:

This kind of shows why it is that I knew when there was an issue between GNAX and me.
    Last edited by Ron; 11-29-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Good luck

1620232602.png

Plan: 25Mbps down / 3Mbps up

Helpful Links
    Knowledge Base | Network Status | Current Specials

Ron
    Loyal Client
    Good stuff.

Home speeds really have changed for the better over the last 5 to 10 years.
    It wasn't long ago at all when T1 was the gold standard, now some users are getting T3 even OC-3 speeds.
    Verizon has tested 10GBit to the house.

Hard to imagine where it all goes, what will be possible with that kind of bandwidth available.
    Good luck

This is actually on the slow side. Usually I get better.

Banned
    It is after 5p.m. here so I won't even post the results of my pathetic speed test. Looks like I'm calling the "old" ISP tomorrow. I knew it was slow, but when you see those numbers in that hard font it really puts slow as a snail into perspective. GoHighVoltage is winning the speed race currently. I would enjoy seeing more results from more users in different areas of the world.

better. Usually I get 60+
    Last edited by gohighvoltage; 11-29-2011 at 09:34 PM.

JPC Senior Member
    This is great guys, lets get more results from different users across the globe!
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]James G
    Follow Me On Twitter - [url]http://twitter.com/JPCJamesG[/url]

JaguarPC - [url]http://www.jaguarpc.com[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by JPC-Sabrina View Post
    It is after 5p.m. here so I won't even post the results of my pathetic speed test.
    It's a "guy thing", honey. Don't worry about it!

When liars figure, figures lie...
    DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of Vin DSL is questionable. The existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the second-order coefficient.

No Guts, No Story! VinDSL 2010

This is my speed of internet :-
    Last edited by Ron; 11-30-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: approved post and fixed url foir the bot ;-)

Here are my blazing results

-------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Good stuff.

Home speeds really have changed for the better over the last 5 to 10 years.
    It wasn't long ago at all when T1 was the gold standard, now some users are getting T3 even OC-3 speeds.
    Verizon has tested 10GBit to the house.

Hard to imagine where it all goes, what will be possible with that kind of bandwidth available.
    Too bad in 2009 Verizon more or less pull out of wireline services in all but a few select markets, Sold all of their lines and accounts to Frontier in 22 states, and Frontier has no desire or plans to expand FioS, in fact they are actively tring to get people to drop FioS in favour of regular DSL, they see that is a more profitable long term service. They are also abandoning their IPTV services in favor of a DirectTV partnership. In most areas they have raised the installation fees for FioS to $750+. The CEO does not feel there is a need/desire for FTTH services..... She probably worked for ATT, lol

You must be one of the lucky ones, as your in an area that Verizon did not abandon

I am doubly screwed, Comcast does not currently provide any digital services to my home at all (no digital tv, no phone, no internet, just regular old Analog Cable) and I am just barely inside the distance limits for CenturyTel to offer me unreliable slow and expensive DSL services....

But in Just 12 days Comcast is suppose to be switching this area to digital so I **should** be able to rejoin the real world and get fast Internet......
    Last edited by the_ancient; 11-30-2011 at 05:40 AM.
    -------------------------
    the_ancient
    MP Technology Group

Banned
    Now that I see the results of the_ancient my own speed test results don't seem as disappointing. When you are getting results over 20 mb/s it is easy to forget that many places are still inadequately served. May comcast come through real fast for you the_ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by gohighvoltage View Post

better. Usually I get 60+
    I had Charter for about 4+ Years and just switched last month to Comcast. I had their 25Mbps line and always got 35Mbps to 45Mbps. They are a decent company, give them that. To bad their not around my new area anymore. Bummer.

Helpful Links
    Knowledge Base | Network Status | Current Specials

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast