Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on New 10mbps Unmetered bandwidth LOWERS transfer per month? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
As far as I've been able to research, 10mbps is roughly equivalent to 3.2 TB/mo. Previous VPS plans had 5 TB/mo allowances (Business, Enterprise?). 1) ...

Loyal Client

Question New 10mbps Unmetered bandwidth LOWERS transfer per month?

As far as I've been able to research, 10mbps is roughly equivalent to 3.2 TB/mo.
    Previous VPS plans had 5 TB/mo allowances (Business, Enterprise?).
    1) Am I right or my math is wrong?
    2) Is this retroactive? I have 5 VPSs. Will I lose available bandwidth?

Thanks in advance.

Banned
    Hello jjaguara,

If you can provide me with your client ID number then I can look at your account and explore your options and settings at a more detailed level.

Loyal Client
    I'm also concern about this, And I just saw the same limits apply also to dedicateds. 10 Mbits/s is 1.25MBytes/s.
    I'm doing tests on amazon and get around 20MB/s between VMs.

I hope this isn't retroactive.

Loyal Client
    what is an easy way or method to test the bandwidth we are actually getting (or maxing at) and then to calculate it out for what would be a month or a max overall?

Easiest way is to find a large file somewhere on the net and pull it over with wget. A popular choice is a PHP tarball from php.net. Many nodes are limited to 10mbps to prevent flooding the switches and choking everyone in the event of a UDP flood or similar. Where possible we can relax those limits if the plan allows.
    (pm) | (email) Les, Chief Operations Officer

Need a Manager?
    (pm) | (email) Greg, Chief Executive Officer

Quote Originally Posted by matzah View Post
    what is an easy way or method to test the bandwidth we are actually getting (or maxing at) and then to calculate it out for what would be a month or a max overall?
    create a 1GB file of data (or something close to that), which is NOT compressible, like an existing ZIP file and then use wget to download it from another location.

install "iftop" (iftop: display bandwidth usage on an interface) on the server and monitor the bandwidth speed at the same time.

you may then see the reported transfer speed from wget or just look at iftop's overall reporting bandwidth (peak).

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit3 View Post
    create a 1GB file of data (or something close to that), which is NOT compressible, like an existing ZIP file and then use wget to download it from another location.

install "iftop" (iftop: display bandwidth usage on an interface) on the server and monitor the bandwidth speed at the same time.

you may then see the reported transfer speed from wget or just look at iftop's overall reporting bandwidth (peak).
    Thanks gonna try this.