Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Any Good Beginner "Webmaster" Books? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I am just getting into this web stuff. I feel comfortable authoring pages in HTML and using FrontPage, but once I joined Aletia and started ...

Loyal Client

Any Good Beginner "Webmaster" Books?

I am just getting into this web stuff. I feel comfortable authoring pages in HTML and using FrontPage, but once I joined Aletia and started reading the forums and the online manual, I found that there was a whole world out there that I knew nothing about! This includes things like: command line stuff, PHP, Perl, CGI, Telenet, Cron, etc.

I realize that it is probably possible to bootstrap myself by combing the forums for a few months, but...

I am wondering if there exist any good books which could be used to get a start on understanding all this stuff. Hmmm, if no books, are there any web sites which are a good reference for this kind of "beginner information" stuff?

Thanks!

Judd

Loyal Client
    There are a lot of tutorials on the net today.
    For example I used this one to learn SSI,it's a pretty good tutorial.
    You find lot's of other tutorials at this page as well.

I don't know about books though.

http://www.useforesite.com/tut_ssi.shtml

alexodin
    oh...man !

You will get tons of links....or not at all.

Because your question is...dunno...HUGE

it is better to use some search engine like google.com and decide which resource is better for you.

a few links:
    programmersheaven.com PHP & Perl zone

webmonkey.com

phpbuilder.com

well...I better stop here

Loyal Client
    PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL! PERL!

Loyal Client
    You may want to check out Python or Ruby instead. The advantage to Perl is that it is used by many more people so getting help is much easier. It seems that the majority of programmers who try out Python prefer it to Perl and that group is growing. The least used (and newest) of the three is Ruby and it definitely has some good things going for it.

I can't help with Python, but here's a book to buy on Ruby:

O'Reilly Ruby in a Nutshell

A free online book about Ruby (though you can purchase the printed version which is easier to read, try eBay):

Programming Ruby

And a brief description of the language:

What's Ruby

------------

A great site for general web-related development, you can spend many days here. Don't get overwhelmed by all the advanced stuff, there are beginning tutorials in there:

http://www.devshed.com/

-------------

Some reviews of books on programming by programmers:

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/publ.../0sb/index.htm

--------------

There are a ton of online free books that I'm sure people can provide links for. I can't as I don't read online beyond a few paragraphs if I can help it...prefer the paper.

For starting out, I'd recommend picking a scripting language (Perl, Python, or Ruby) and playing around with it. If you are new to programming, I'd suggest Python probably, but Perl is fine. (I'd not suggest them if you were looking to become a programmer, but you said you were just looking at web site development on a basic scale.)

From there, you can move to database work with PHP in MySQL (if you go the popular route) or PostgreSQL (which seems to be the more recommended route now). Interbase doesn't seem to be prevalent enough to warrant sinking your teeth into it yet.

Get away from Frontpage before you hurt yourself.