Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Subdomain help in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi there! I just have a question about subdomains and hosting- I don't know if it's already been answered somewhere in here- I'm too lazy ...

Loyal Client

Subdomain help

Hi there! I just have a question about subdomains and hosting- I don't know if it's already been answered somewhere in here- I'm too lazy to look through all the posts! My question is, when I want to host someone on my site, do I just give them my password and user name and that way they have total access to the account or is there a way to just set up a username and password for just them and they're the only ones that can get into their subdomain folder? I'm really new at this. -.- THANKS!

Noie

orenji.org

alexodin
    if you give them your main account info, they will kick you out

you can create a subdomain like "blah", create a ftp login with the "blah" name and give them a password.
    in this case they will not be able to get your stuff.

the best way is to contact Aletia about your question. They have special "reseller" program.

hell no, we won't go!
    You can give them FTP access for only their subdomain by creating a subdomain and then another FTP account w/ the same username as the subdomain

If you want to give them CPanel access, you have to give them your main account user/pass...not really a good idea IMHO, but...
    - Colin

I like food.

Loyal Client

Ahhhh...

I thank you very much, kemosabe. Information I can use! Usually I don't get that lucky. ^___^ I've emailed Aletia with the same question and so am just waiting to see what they say. I guess I'll have to learn a bit about FTP! Thanks, again.

Noie

Loyal Client

joy!!

Oh, me so happy people are willing to help me here! You wouldn't beLIEVE how much crap I get trying to ask for help elsewhere. Thank you both- I will learn my FTP and let my hostees know they can start uploading. THANK YOU!!

Sincerely, Noie