Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Whats the difference..... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Yeah, I just came from hypermart's hosting, (-don ask-) And I have a general question I hav'nt come across before, Can anyone explain the differences ...

Loyal Client

Whats the difference.....

Yeah, I just came from hypermart's hosting, (-don ask-)
    And I have a general question I hav'nt come across before, Can anyone explain the differences in the "www" directory and the "public html" directory, what files are generally stored in each, I'm used to adding all online content to the public html folder, but my welcome email from Aletia suggests that html files reside in the "www" directory.

BTW, I'm pleased to be aboard and look forward to helping all here when i can.

Loyal Client
    www is just an alias or shortcut to public_html directory.

Laura Brandt

Loyal Client
    gotcha,... Thanks Laura

Loyal Client
    Not that it matters much, but I would like to see the www be renamed to public_html, because public_html is what most hosts use and it is just more commonly found.

Histerical, absolute
    I love the WWW part i always click that one and not public_html
    and when im moving around in FTP and i am typing what directory is i an before public_html folder i just type /www/directory and stuff its heaps easyer to type then public_html

Besides why must everyone do it exactly the same must we all conform to a standerd!
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!