Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Any Recommendation for Dedicated or VPS? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
We have one client that has outgrown the resource limitations of the Premium Shared Hosting plan. Their forum board is huge and has high traffic ...

SturdyLink

Any Recommendation for Dedicated or VPS?

We have one client that has outgrown the resource limitations of the Premium Shared Hosting plan. Their forum board is huge and has high traffic so it is sucking up resources CPU, etc.

Anyone have a recommendation for dedicated hosting that we can research and possibly send this customer to? As much as we hate to lose this customer, they just aren't right for shared hosting any more. I am not even sure that VPS is good for this purpose, but a dedicated server will be.

thanks,
    Kim

Loyal Client
    Hello Kim,

Why not buy a server/VPS from Kiet and resell to him? However if he's looking for a cheap dedicated server, then S4S server with seeksadmin would be a good option
    modvpsreviews.com - Comming Soon!

We have one client that has outgrown the resource limitations of the Premium Shared Hosting plan. Their forum board is huge and has high traffic so it is sucking up resources CPU, etc.

Anyone have a recommendation for dedicated hosting that we can research and possibly send this customer to? As much as we hate to lose this customer, they just aren't right for shared hosting any more. I am not even sure that VPS is good for this purpose, but a dedicated server will be.
    Hello Kim, A VPS is definately an option. I suggest opening a ticket at the Support department so we can look into this abit more and determine whether a VPS or dedicated environment will best suites your client's needs.
    Thanks

SturdyLink
    Thank you JunkFriend,

Of course we would like to try a VPS from Kiet and we are looking into that now as a first option. Our only concern is that we don't know if the VPS will allow the resources that this customer needs. The customer averages running 23-27 processes, some processes running 50 CPU seconds.)

The customer does not care about the solution as long as he gets one. He loves us and doesn't want to move anything.

We just want to get a solution for the customer to not disrupt their traffic, and hopefully before RZ slaps us silly by letting the account grow that big :-)

SturdyLink
    Luke, oh good. I will check with support on that however the first time I asked, I didn't get a recommendation. Obviously I asked the wrong question.

Big Kisses for all the recommendations
    Kim

Jag Veteran
    Kim,

The VPS doesn't have any of the resource limits you see per user on the shared servers. You're only limited to the amount of resources you get with the VPS and our VPS-One comes with 512 MB of memory. I believe based on what you've mentioned in this thread so far that it will be fine for that account. Unfortunately the VPS isn't ready yet until 1/22 however in the meantime what I can offer is to move that account over to our temp server so that it can run normally until the VPS is ready. Let me know what you think.
    Kiet Duong
    Hosting Zoom, Inc.

Jag Veteran
    Furthur to what I posted above. I am extending it to anyone whom has an account that is overusing resources and considering a VPS, if you pre-order for a VPS we'll move any account over to our temp server temporarily until the VPS is online.
    Kiet Duong
    Hosting Zoom, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by hzKiet View Post
    Furthur to what I posted above. I am extending it to anyone whom has an account that is overusing resources and considering a VPS, if you pre-order for a VPS we'll move any account over to our temp server temporarily until the VPS is online.
    Kiet,

Thats a great idea, thank you for offering it to us. Most companies wouldnt even think about offering this.

Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by zurv View Post
    Kiet,

Thats a great idea, thank you for offering it to us. Most companies wouldnt even think about offering this.
    Yup, KIET is cool. HZ/RZ also are cool

SturdyLink
    Great. I think I will try that. I will send a ticket to the support desk to see about signing up to purchase that VPS plan as an additional server, and see what needs to be changed on my side when the account moves over. I am presuming that only the DNS changes. I'm trying to prevent changing the DNS any more than necessary.

I'll also want to find out if I can set a private nameserver for the VPS, so I will ask them about that as well.

This sounds like it might be a great idea to move to a temporary server, although it looks like the real thing is only a week away. The website I was referring to here seemed to peak in resource use around the Christmas holidays (expected I guess) and then fell back a bit, but since it continues to grow slowly, I need to move it to a VPS account.

Thanks for all the info and offer. I'll act on that.
    Kim