Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on SSH problems - very often in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I am a relatively new customer - I have been with HZ for about three months. I use SSH almost every day to update our ...

ivo
    Loyal Client

SSH problems - very often

I am a relatively new customer - I have been with HZ for about three months. I use SSH almost every day to update our sites. Today however is maybe the 5-th time when SSH is not accessible for hours and Support is not supportive at all. Few of these times SSH was disabled on my account without any notification. Today it returns "access denied" and just now I sent my 6-th reply to something, which should be a very simple support ticket. Originally it read "ssh is not working, please fix it."

First they replied with the usual 'Port number' automated response, and then we started a meaningless argument: "I enabeled it" - "No, it is still not working" - "It should be working now" - "No, it isn't"... etc, etc.

I am not writing this here to be difficult. It has happened so many times now that it is getting very annoying. I can not do any work now for hours and every time when I try to use SSH over these months there is a tickling sensation, "will it work today?", "...ah, great, it still works." (if it does)

I think this is not a good service and not a good practice and definitely something to be checked by someone. SSH is one of the main tools for site administration.

Dylan
    Ivo,
    The only time your shell gets reset is when/if you modify/upgrade/downgrade an account.
    We ofcourse, do not go around randomly changing your user's shell access.

Quote Originally Posted by ivo
    First they replied with the usual 'Port number' automated response, and then we started a meaningless argument: "I enabeled it" - "No, it is still not working" - "It should be working now" - "No, it isn't"... etc, etc.
    Did you supply us with Login information so we could test before stating that it is enabled?

ivo
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by hzDylan View Post
    Ivo,
    The only time your shell gets reset is when/if you modify/upgrade/downgrade an account.
    We ofcourse, do not go around randomly changing your user's shell access.

Did you supply us with Login information so we could test before stating that it is enabled?
    I have not modified my account since I opened it. Can you tell me one reason I would come here posting what I did if it was not true?? Today it took nearly 3 hours for support to fix the shell access.

I do not see the point of your reply. And I do not think it is relevant.

And, yes, since I am using the ticket system I suply all the information I am asked for.

Dylan
    To enable/disable shell access is to modify a single line in /etc/passwd. Either it's enabled or it's not.
    This /etc/passwd file is synced between the servers in the cluster, so there is no chance of having shell access on primary and not have shell access on secondary.

I do not understand how this can happen "so many times".
    Perhaps it was due to your recent Account Upgrade? I dont know.
    If you can please reference your ticket id, we'll be able to further look into this.

Today it took nearly 3 hours for support to fix the shell access.
    If we had responded saying shell access is enabled and in return you had responded that it is not - and this "meaningless argument" continued to go back and forth for 3 hours then I can only assume that there was some miscommunication or a mistake made somewhere between the lines.

Perhaps if you had to respond to the ticket saying, "test this" and had given us the SSH login instead of saying "Not working" - the ticket would've been resolved alot quicker.

I hope I'm not comming off as rude in this thread. Please do not take offense.

ivo
    Loyal Client
    Quote Originally Posted by hzDylan View Post
    To enable/disable shell access is to modify a single line in /etc/passwd. Either it's enabled or it's not.
    This /etc/passwd file is synced between the servers in the cluster, so there is no chance of having shell access on primary and not have shell access on secondary.

I do not understand how this can happen "so many times".
    Perhaps it was due to your recent Account Upgrade? I dont know.
    If you can please reference your ticket id, we'll be able to further look into this.

If we had responded saying shell access is enabled and in return you had responded that it is not - and this "meaningless argument" continued to go back and forth for 3 hours then I can only assume that there was some miscommunication or a mistake made somewhere between the lines.

Perhaps if you had to respond to the ticket saying, "test this" and had given us the SSH login instead of saying "Not working" - the ticket would've been resolved alot quicker.

I hope I'm not comming off as rude in this thread. Please do not take offense.
    Yes, you are. I am not even going to comment on what you post. I am really surprised that this kind of reply can appear in the official Hostingzoom forum.

Jag Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ivo View Post
    Yes, you are. I am not even going to comment on what you post. I am really surprised that this kind of reply can appear in the official Hostingzoom forum.
    Sorry but I don't find anything rude about Dylan's response in this thread but i'll let the other members here comment about that since I may be biased.

The truth is nobody here can do anything about it except for staff members and we'll need a bit more information from you such as a ticket number would help. Being condescending about the issue isn't really gonna get anywhere.
    Kiet Duong
    Hosting Zoom, Inc.

Loyal Client
    To be honest I don't find it rude at all, although the problem Ivo sketches is very familiar and I do understand his frustration. I experienced the same issue several times and I think I am on the same server as he is (C1 which is being migrated at the moment). Because of the migration I'm not doing anything special on my site right now so I didn't bother to file a ticket concerning ssh not being available today.

I noticed that whenever a server gets failed over the redirected ssh port doesn't get forwarded to the right internal(?) ip on the firewall. Perhaps that is something that could be added to the procedures whenever a server is failed over...

JPC Member
    I don't find his answer rude at all, in his first reply hzDylan tries to help you/find out more information in a normal way and Ivo just blows up without any reason. I think it is Ivo who is rude and should take a pill to relax.

Loyal Client
    Just to clarify my reply, I'm talking about Dylan not being rude at all, he's simply to the point and I experience him to be very helpful in all matters I throw at him...

JPC Member
    Dear staff, I've never felt compelled to submit a ticket on the issue, but yes I too have repeatedly and inexplicably been denied SSH access at times.

The problem has always been intermittent; I've come to realize that attempting to connect a few minutes later might prove successful... or SSH may be (on a given day) inaccessible across a span of several hours. My server is Jones, FWIW. I've just assumed that server load, or backups running, or whatever dictated some "cutout" point. In other words, I didn't take it personally ~~ instead I figured that during the window it was unavailable to anyone. But, again, I am confirming that I too have observed the situation as described by the original poster.

ivo
    Loyal Client
    OK, I see that others do not view the situation from the same angle as me. I apologize to Dylan for my response. However I do feel that he is overly defensive. This is not a good practice for a company support representative. "The fault lies with the client" may be a common situation, but it should never be used and stated by a hosting support team without absolute proof. This is a very flawed ideology and has been responsible for the demise of several big hosting companies in recent years. It translates simply as incompetence (on many levels).
    All I basically said was "there are issues with SSH, check it out." maybe I was more rude, because, honestly, it started getting on my nerves. I am talking about a period of several months, and most of the time I have contacted support through chat. Only two or three times I have used the ticketing system. Yesterday was a very good example, and anyone interested can check the ticket logs. As usual, I wasn't told what the problem was. And, as usual, it had nothing to do with me, because after several hours (and a lot or exchanged emails) I just recieved a responce "Please check, it seems to be working now" and in fact, it was. This has been the case on all these occasions without exception.

So, I have nothing more to say, actually. The support of Hostingzoom is definitely good. I have worked over the years with several hosting companies and I can safely say that in HZ it is above average, definitely. It is not outstanding by any means, however. There is much to be desired.

That's it. You can blame me now
    (I have SSH at this moment, so I am happy and will tolerate more)

JPC Member
    Hi Ivo,

I am not going to blame you: I can understand your frustration but I do believe that you misunderstood what Dylan was trying to do, namely explain when SSH access is being disabled and then trying to find out if support really tried to test if SSH was enabled instead of just enabling it without testing if it had really worked. He wasn't trying to blame you.

My tip: use the ticket system more often instead of Live Chat. First of all because Live Chat is for basic level one issues that don't require server login to diagnose. Secondly because in the ticket system you will have an history of tickets which you then can provide to ,for example, Dylan who will most likely will be very pleased to help you.