Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on C1 migration e-mail (and other) problems in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi, Now, after the migration of C1 is apparently over, it seems that quite a lot of e-mails have been lost - everything which was ...

ivo
    Loyal Client

C1 migration e-mail (and other) problems

Hi,
    Now, after the migration of C1 is apparently over, it seems that quite a lot of e-mails have been lost - everything which was sent to our e-mail accounts during the past 6-7 hours is not showing anywhere. The e-mails seem to be gone.

And, the major thing. Why didn't anyone say that the IP will change in this process?? I found out almost by accident, looking at the C1 thread in the Network status forum. Aren't you supposed to tell your customers that their IP address will change? I, for one, didn't receive any such announcement. And I have a lot of things configured to point to the IP and not to the domain name to avoid possible DNS problems.

And, as a last thought. Please do not announce that the migration is over when it is in fact not. The server seems very overloaded now and obviously some processes are still running, as almost everything on our account is practically unusable still.

Loyal Client

Unhappy Email problems

I'm not very happy about how this migration is being done. It ought to have been done with less visible impact (we have lost messages and we currently cannot receive or send email).

C1 was advertised as more reliable than other account types, but the failover functionality can't provide enhanced reliability if the hardware gets upgraded carelessly. Why couldn't the upgrade been done using separate IP addresses and only activated when it was completely finished and adequately tested, including alpha and beta testing?

Reliability requires a great deal more from a hosting company than just the latest technology.

David Spector
    Webmaster (for many websites)

Dylan
    Your Email issues should be resolved at this time.
    If not, please open a ticket. Please mention a test email account so we can confirm before responding.

Loyal Client
    One email problem was fixed; at least one remains. Will pursue through the Helpdesk.

Thanks.

Jag Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ivo View Post
    Hi,
    Now, after the migration of C1 is apparently over, it seems that quite a lot of e-mails have been lost - everything which was sent to our e-mail accounts during the past 6-7 hours is not showing anywhere. The e-mails seem to be gone.

And, the major thing. Why didn't anyone say that the IP will change in this process?? I found out almost by accident, looking at the C1 thread in the Network status forum. Aren't you supposed to tell your customers that their IP address will change? I, for one, didn't receive any such announcement. And I have a lot of things configured to point to the IP and not to the domain name to avoid possible DNS problems.

And, as a last thought. Please do not announce that the migration is over when it is in fact not. The server seems very overloaded now and obviously some processes are still running, as almost everything on our account is practically unusable still.
    We sent out a notice and mentioned that the IP will change and that we will forward the old IP to the new IP so there isn't a dns cache issue. The server migration is over that's why it was announced that it was over. If it was overloaded that doesn't mean that it's not over.

And yes we were aware it was overloaded earlier and had that corrected. It's now performing nicely. Server load on c1p under 2 and c1s under 1.
    Kiet Duong
    Hosting Zoom, Inc.

Loyal Client

Angry

Here was my situation: Being hurt by server migration when you're away from home with limited Internet connection is painful. You should have warned us at least a week before that the IP was going to change, and give us some time to react.

The bad thing is that you assumed that we ALL use your DNS server, which is not the reality. I don't use it in most case.

I've sure I've lost mails. Can you confirm that? And I also think that these unreceived mails where not bounced back to the sender.

Jag Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gelegweb View Post
    Here was my situation: Being hurt by server migration when you're away from home with limited Internet connection is painful. You should have warned us at least a week before that the IP was going to change, and give us some time to react.

The bad thing is that you assumed that we ALL use your DNS server, which is not the reality. I don't use it in most case.

I've sure I've lost mails. Can you confirm that? And I also think that these unreceived mails where not bounced back to the sender.
    That's why we setup an IP forward so even if you use an external DNS with the old IP it would still be forwarded to the new server. I would advise you update that ASAP as the IP forward will be removed very soon. You can find the IP in your cPanel.

If you feel you have an email issue please open a ticket to support and they can assist you with that. Be sure and provide information so logs can be checked. Thanks.
    Kiet Duong
    Hosting Zoom, Inc.