Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Full Disclosure about Aletia... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Ok. I am a reseller, and I like to know about the hosting company I trust to handle my accounts. So. I did a little ...

Loyal Client

Full Disclosure about Aletia...

Ok. I am a reseller, and I like to know about the hosting company I trust to handle my accounts.

So. I did a little research and thought I would share my findings.

Logging into scorpion:

bash$ who
    **** pts/0 Dec 19 12:25
    root pts/1 Dec 16 23:11
    bash$ finger root
    Login: root Name: root
    Directory: /root Shell: /bin/bash
    On since Sun Dec 16 23:11 (EST) on pts/1 from euchre14.eftel.com
    362 days 7 hours idle
    (messages off)
    Last login Tue Dec 18 21:59 (EST) on pts/3 from cpe-144-137-225-240.wa.bigpond.net.au
    No mail.
    No Plan.
    bash$

If you look up eftel.com it is an ISP in Perth Australia. hmmm...

Notice that bigpond.net.au is also an Australia based company. (look at the phone numbers...)

So, Aletia is run from australia. No big deal, they just contract out the hardware issues to a managed server facility and manage the servers remotely. So, lets look into the information that aletia gives us about their facility...

Google search on the following:
    Parsippany NJ web Hosting Gives us an idea of how many other folks use that facility... Interesting, but just who actually owns the facility?

After more searches, I found a clue here that led me to believe that Aletia servers are colocated at www.site5.com

One question though:
    What is actually located in the corprate offce in Lake Tahoe, NV?

As for me, I am fine with this. I have been with many hosts, and the bang-for-the-buck is perfect for me and my clients. (And moving hosts is a pain!) So I am staying with aletia.

Tell me what you think about my findings though.

Loyal Client
    A simple traceroute to your site will reveal that the servers are indeed located in Parsippany, NJ, and owned by Net Access Corporation (NAC).

Site5 seems to be leasing NAC's servers and bandwith as a traceroute to www.site5.com leads to the same little NJ town. I don't know if Aletia's contract is with Site5 or NAC.

It's pretty common that hosting companies don't own all network capacity and servers themselves, but in their turn lease these facilities from other companies, like Site5 and NAC. Nothing to worry about I would say. It would only be suspicious if Aletia would deny any of this, but AFAIK they don't.

Loyal Client
    The reason you saw those Perth, Australia IPs is because Mark Vockler, Aletia employee, is in Australia at the moment. Aletia is planning on expanding into foreign markets, I believe. But as wmvink said, a simple traceroute to the server will show that the servers are hosted at NAC, which is common knowledge. Very few hosting companies have their own data center, as the costs usually outweigh any conceivable benefits.

Loyal Client
    Hostrocket.com has its own datacenter.

Their servers are overcrowded and overrun by processes that drain the resources big time.

It seems that the costs of one's own datacenter are so high that good service is hard to provide alongside with it, unless using Very high prices.

I didn't like seeing the name of bigpond.net.au though, a user on my board is permanently banned and his IP is from bigpond.net.au - not fun.

actually many hosts have their own data centers. i work for a lot of sites that pay top dollar for hosting and yes they ALL have their own data centers which ARE separate from their coporate locations.

What I don't understand Voleno is your intention in all this. in the beginning you talked about doing this to figure if you could trust these people and then in the end, you said you didn't care.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

hell no, we won't go!
    Originally posted by wmvink
    I don't know if Aletia's contract is with Site5 or NAC.
    I'm pretty sure Aletia leases their servers through Pegasus Web Technologies ( http://www.pwebtech.com/ ) But I can't say that for sure...
    - Colin

I like food.

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Dogma

I'm pretty sure Aletia leases their servers through Pegasus Web Technologies ( http://www.pwebtech.com/ ) But I can't say that for sure...
    I think you're right. This company is also based in NJ (Newton to be exact) and uses NAC's network. My guess is that Pegasus leases NAC's data centers and network connections and in their turn leases this to Aletia.

I really don't mind that my site is being hosted in New Jersey. Do you?

Histerical, absolute
    Bigpond.net.au isnt a bad company
    bigpond.net.au is actually Owned by Telstra.com.au Who is a Telacommunications Giant in Australia (we Aussies have Telstra and Optus you Americans are just Gluttens for Choice :P) we also have smaller ones which rent the phone lines from Optus and Telstra.. anywho

Bigpond aint bad at all im on Bigpond ADSL actually bigpond.net.au is like One of the Biggest ISP's in Australia And Currently Telstra and Optus are the only Ones Providing Direct Internet Connections (They Dont resel other people Resel Telstras and Optus)

So Bigpond.net.au aint a bad thing its actually good i wouldnt be online without them and i bet a few other people who Visit your site is on Bigpond.net.au
    All opinions are the result of being uninformed, unintelligent and uninterested!

Loyal Client
    I think it's good to have your server located wherever you think you'll get the most visitors.
    So it wouldn't make sense to have your data retrieved from Australia if you have a mainly U.S. audience. On ther other hand, if you have a mainly Australian audience, such a server would work out great.

Loyal Client
    I personally hate Bigpond.

I am on Optus Cable. Telstra cable is capped at 56k, and have 3gig of download. I have unlimited speed and 10Xs the average user in downloads (around 30gig a month)

My dads company uses 'Netspace ADSL' which license through Telstra. It is very often down because of Telstra and much more expensive then cable as well. I was looking at getting ADSL so I could host my own sites (cable does not let you) but it was so expensive so i stick to Aletia.

When it comes to connections I have a 56k Netspace account which I use which is very fast and great to use.

Telstra, in my opinion is about as low as AOL.

I think you're right. This company is also based in NJ (Newton to be exact) and uses NAC's network. My guess is that Pegasus leases NAC's data centers and network connections and in their turn leases this to Aletia.

I really don't mind that my site is being hosted in New Jersey. Do you?
    monster3144

Loyal Client
    Hey, so whats-a-matter with da friggin servers being in New Jersey. Works for me! Fugghetaboutit!
    Elwin

Loyal Client
    I don't mind either, especially since I live in New Jersey.

Loyal Client

New Jersey is Great.

I live in South Jersey and I'm glad to hear they are in New Jersey. Great.

Terri

Loyal Client
    A simple traceroute to your site will reveal that the servers are indeed located in Parsippany, NJ, and owned by Net Access Corporation (NAC).

A simple trace to your site on either cobra or kiwi will lead you to Milwaukie & VenturesOnline.com :weyes:

I thought they were somehow 'related' with VenturesOnline. On sat when Aletia moved one of the servers, VenturesOnline did the same thing. I found it odd that 2 different hosting company's moved servers on the same day.
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast