Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Looking for gallery/forum script in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Maybe someone here could help. I'm looking for some sort of gallery script that could handle over 1000 images, but ALSO has the capability for ...

Sam
    Loyal Client

Looking for gallery/forum script

Maybe someone here could help. I'm looking for some sort of gallery script that could handle over 1000 images, but ALSO has the capability for a user to add comments or remarks to each photo.

The script also has to be VERY simple for the users to figure out. The key here is functionality, NOT bells and whistles. I prefer less options than more.

As my site is non-profit, I'd prefer free, but would be willing to pay a reasonable fee.

Anybody have any recommendations? My guess is that this will probably be a message base script that also handles photos. But again, it must be simple, simple, simple.

Thanks

Loyal Client
    Check this thread: http://www.aletiaforums.com/showthre...=&threadid=803

It's about the 'Gallery' script. I have succesfully installed it at my site and it has all the features you are looking for. Take a look at http://pics.vink.org for an example.

The script itself can be found at http://gallery.sourceforge.net

Note that some people have reported problems installing this script. Check the abovementioned thread. I however, haven't had any problems.

Loyal Client
    If you need some other components too, maybe using PostNuke/PHP-nuke with MyEGallery could be it. It is quite easy to use and install and can make thumbnails by GD library, NetBpm, Imagemackig or by hand.
    If you have big archive this is good. The web based setup is easy.

See the MyEGallery script in action at EEP (not much used though).

Sam
    Loyal Client
    Thanks wmvink. I checked out a few sample galleries, and it looked good. They all kind of moved really slow though. I'll assume that may not have anything to do with the script.

What worries me though is that post reference you added. It looks like a LOT of people were having trouble installing it. I don't know if I need that kind of hassle right now. I know a little Perl, but PhP I'm in the dark about and may not be able to handle all that.

Loyal Client
    My gallery may be a little slow because of a rather complicated style-sheet that I kind of ripped from another site. I'll change it once I get some time to look into it. Check out the official Gallery site - they provide some links to other examples.

Don't worry - I don't know anything about PHP and I managed to get it up and running without any problems. It pretty much speaks for itself, a 4 year old could install this script.

Indeed, a lot of people were having problems with it. I suggest you give it a try, it'll only take a few minutes to see if you can get it to work. If it doesn't, you may want to follow SimMayor's advice, or check Hotscripts.com for other scripts that may satisfy the requirements you mentioned.