Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Video Cards in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
This is way off-topic on hosting, but in any case, I just ran into a large chunk of free time and bought myself an ATI ...

Loyal Client

Video Cards

This is way off-topic on hosting, but in any case, I just ran into a large chunk of free time and bought myself an ATI Radeon 7000 AGP card the other night, as well as the game Rogue Spear. Now, I haven't played games in years, besides the occasional minesweeper while something compiles in the background, so I'm out of the loop on compatibility problems. BUT EVEN IF YOU DONT KNOW TECH STUFF ABOUT VIDEO CARDS, READ ON!

In any case, when I start a mission, it all looks fine. Then I move the mouse to change my view, and while I pan past the environment (buildings, etc...), all of the textures will randomly flicker. They disappear for a split second, and I can see the texture of the sky behind them, and then the texture will reappear just as fast. Now, the whole wall doesn't disappear - only portions of it. Needless to say, this is annoying. Is there anyone that has any Direct3D experience that can help me out with some tips?

NOW IF YOU DONT HAVE DIRECT3D EXPERIENCE, I was reading the list of cards that "work" with Rogue Spear. The best of them seemed to be the Riva TNT2 video card. Is this a pretty good card? Good enough to play this game at a 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution smoothly? What about the Voodoos like Voodoo5 - anyone have experience with those?

Thanks!

- Jonathan

Loyal Client
    Currently, the best chipset developer for gfx cards is nVidia, moreso because the new DETONATOR drivers (DET4) are excellent and have fixed many remaining clipping problems and the like.

I don't know what your card's chipset is, but it's a good idea to check the website of the manufacturer and download all the latest drivers, AND the latest DirectX drivers (v.8.1 or so..) from microsoft.com - that ought to get you going.

A TNT 2 is what I have, and it's great but getting outdated these days. High FPS (framerates) and high resolutions just don't add up if you use this card on the newest games.

I'd stay clear from Voodoo cards.

If you want a cheap and rather good card (though I think the ATI Radeon 7000 IS a very good card already, not sure) the GeForce 2 or GeForce 2 MX card might be a good solution. nVidia chipset, good framerates on high resolution... basically, you only need the latest drivers with that card and you're set.