Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Need Help Tomake Cgi Form Work in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Ignorant duck whose talents do not go beyond basic html requires help to make a form do something besides sit there and look back at ...

EHG

Need Help Tomake Cgi Form Work

Ignorant duck whose talents do not go beyond basic html requires help to make a form do something besides sit there and look back at me with accusations of stupidity - ok sometimes it speaks and gives me an error page!

I have created on my site a form for users to add their name to a mailing list which will notify them when updates are made to the site. I have read the tutorials on the form mail clone and cgimail and if anything resulted it was more confusion.

I created an e-mail template which seems to be required with cgiemail but not clone one and I uploaded that template called 'e-mail template.txt' to the cgi-bin directoryand the /mail/register directory where the pop3 email account [email protected] is.

Well to be truthful I don't have any idea where the email address of those that subscribe will go and in what format it will be when it gets there - I just need to be able to notify those that request it when I update the site.

This is the action statement in the form and the msg I get:

<form METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://www.aidsnewsarchive.org/cgi-bin/cgiemail/cgi-bin/e-mail template.txt">

- All I get is an error

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/cgiemail/cgi-bin/e-mail template.txt on this server.

I was able to use the autoresponder to create an automatic response (yea that works!!) all the cgi stuff or whatever is required resides in the default directories as created by Aletia.

To simplify the task for anyone who would be kind enough to help I have uploaded the form page with the html visible to this location -

http://www.aidsnewsarchive.org/aids/...ptionform.html

If anybody can stick in the necessary lines and email me it sure would be appreciated - also I would like the user to be taken back to the about page after completing the form which would be the a href="about.html" and I guess that if it is not too much trouble something telling them that their email address has been added to our mailing list.

If it is necessary for me to put a template or anything else in any of the directories mail, cgi-bin etc PLEASE be very specific as it really is confusing to me - I'm sure once accomplished well at least by the 20th time a little lite will go on and I once again will wonder why I couldn't see it in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Loyal Client
    I just you some info via PM but if you want to run an update notice subscription you might want to visit Hot Scripts and look at some of the mailing list scripts that allow automated subscripions and unsubscribing. Trust after a few months an e-mail list becomes a headache....
    Miracles Happen

alexodin
    Why dont you want to use Control panel->Mailing list ?

Loyal Client
    Actually I use the mailing list for my stuff but if all you want is a simple notification newsletter the mailing list can be more complex than needed. Plus you have to lock out all junk mail that comes into the list unless you are careful. A scrip based newslist avoids sending junk to your subscribers...
    Miracles Happen

alexodin
    hmm...permissions..
    try to do CHMOD 755 for /cgi-bin/cgiemail/cgi-bin/e-mail template.txt file.

alexodin
    another option:
    check out those scripts:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...List_Managers/

select which one you like and I will help you to install it.

um,

the action field goes to a text file??? i do believe it needs to go to a script.

also, there are several easy to use scripts which you can find at the links above.

but if you are intent on using what you currently what you want to implement, please give the name of the script/tutorial.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

EHG
    Much thanks to all of you for your time and effort - Eagle 1 has come to my rescue. I believe we are going with the original formmail and have uploaded the appropriate .pl to the cgi-bin. Eagle has taken my form and added the necessary code to make it functional and tested it and it worked for him. I believe I followed his instructions precisely but apparently did not in that at the moment the form does the appropriate redirect but other then that is not functioning. I did set the attributes as instructed to the formmail.pl but apparently somewhere along the line I made what I believe is a minor error and I'm just awaiting Eagle's reply to my email where he hopefully will be able to visualize with little effort the what is necessary to make it work completely.

clio from what I understand in cgiemail tutorial located at

http://web.mit.edu/wwwdev/cgiemail/user.html

the output is to a .txt file. Here is a copy of the action statement from the tutorial in the cgiemail users guide.

<FORM METHOD="POST"
    ACTION="http://web.mit.edu/bin/cgiecho/wwwdev/cgiemail/questions3.txt">

However I conceed that I was unable to comprehend a significant part of the tutorial - therefore I cannot state with any conviction that my perceptions are correct.

Loyal Client

action

I'm new at this, too. I have LOOKED at a lot of codes, though. In your form, in your action statment http://www.aidsnewsarchive.org/cgi-b...cgi-bin/e-mail template.txt, do you really have 2 cgi-bins in your path? I haven't seen that before. Also, the space between 'e-mail' and 'template' doesn't usually work.

EHG
    Thanks for all those who tried to help. It is now working using formmail. THANKS GERRY !!!!!!

It was stubborn until the very end - but Gerry's step by step approach to the rather confusing resistance overcame the problem and SUCCESS

THANKS AGAIN - now i shall go post a new thread with a new problem