Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on VPS not responding in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hello - My VPS (on VZ7) isn't responding - web, email, WHM, etc. - and no indication that my support ticket has been read yet, ...

Loyal Client

VPS not responding

Hello -

My VPS (on VZ7) isn't responding - web, email, WHM, etc. - and no indication that my support ticket has been read yet, after almost 1.5 hours. Usually the response is much faster.

Is anyone else having any problems? Can I bump the support ticket again?

Ticket #2154773.

Dan.

Dylan
    Dan,
    I see your ticket has since been marked as resolved. The delay in response has been noted.

Admittedly modVPS is not fully staffed on saturday's during 2nd shift. I will be making arrangements this week to assure we have more techs manning modVPS on Saturdays during 2nd shift. This delay won't happen again.

Loyal Client
    Thanks, Dylan - yes, it's good now. (Perhaps I've been spoiled since Support always seems to respond in 15 minutes or so.)

My VPS has been going down every couple of weeks or so for "excessive resource usage", with the stock recommendation to upgrade. True, it's just a VPS1 plan, but it's practically empty - just a handful of low-traffic sites, no forums, and my own email (I do check six email accounts simultaneously).

If it *is* my VPS, then there must be a fault in the CPanel cron jobs - updates, backups, etc. That's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise, it might be excessive load from someone else's VPS. Has anyone else been having problems on VZ7, or with an "excessive" CPanel possibly spinning out of control?

Dan.

JPC Member
    We have not heard that any of clients have problems on the hardware node VZ7. However we will keep an eye on it to avoid the load spikes on the server.

Dylan
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    If it *is* my VPS, then there must be a fault in the CPanel cron jobs - updates, backups, etc. That's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise, it might be excessive load from someone else's VPS. Has anyone else been having problems on VZ7, or with an "excessive" CPanel possibly spinning out of control?

Dan.
    Dan,
    Based on the logs provided - your VPS really is exceeding it's memory limits (OOM - Out of Memory).
    As a result, services on your VE are being killed off. They're being restarted automatically by chkservd after being killed, however it is causing downtime.

Loyal Client
    Hi, Dylan -

I don't question that the logs are saying OOM, but from them, is there any way to tell what could possibly be eating the memory? I see the "OOM killed process" in the email Sergey sent, but I honestly have no idea how to interpret it to find what's broken - for me, it's just a bunch of code. I need your help.

When I look at WHM's memory usage, root is taking up 10%, and it lists gzip and pkgacct - I assume those are backups. nobody is taking up 2.94%, mysql has 0.8%, and the sites themselves total 0.14% - only four sites are listed.

When I look at Server Status, it shows as 14.6%, and when I look Current CPU, the large items are WHM and spamd (3.5% each); everything else seems insignificant.

Bandwidth usage is just 1.25Gb for October. There's no WordPress or anything like that on the VPS, and I haven't configured it in any way - it's just a VPS straight out of the box with a small handful of low-traffic sites, one of which uses MySQL/PHP for dynamic pages. I'm not a reseller, so I know everything on there.

Obviously I don't even know where to look - I can sort of handle WHM but not much else (ie. not shell). Whether it's my own ignorance or not, my *impression* is that the VPS is broken in some way (eg. a CPanel thing). And of course I wouldn't want to upgrade for *that* reason, only because the sites actually require it. Instead, I'd probably just walk away from VPSs altogether, as out of my skill range.

So if you could point to something and say, "This is the problem," I'd really appreciate it - I don't know if you can, but it would be great if you could.

Dan.

Dylan
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    So if you could point to something and say, "This is the problem," I'd really appreciate it - I don't know if you can, but it would be great if you could.

Dan.
    Dan,
    Certainly. What I'll do in a few moments (when I get a chance) is log into your VPS and check out the past dcpumon logs to determine where your most memory consumption is happening. I'll update you in ticket #2154773 with my findings.

Loyal Client
    Hey, great - thanks, Dylan!

I was impressed to see your email in my box first thing this morning. Not only did you check it out, but you made some tweaks (with clear explanations) - probably a step above and beyond the call of duty, and very much appreciated here.

Dan.

Dylan
    Dan,
    You're most welcome. Please keep mVPS Support updated if you continue to experience any performance issues.

For other mVPS customers, I suggest checking out this thread.
    If you have any tips and/or tricks you'd like to share with us, please share it in this thread.