Web Hosting Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This is a discussion on PHP and MySQL in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Feel free to send me your html/template -- I'll be able to show you where everything goes. ...

Patty
    Feel free to send me your html/template -- I'll be able to show you where everything goes.

Loyal Client
    you all KNOW i gotta pop into these threads.

ahh, Structuralist. someone that isn't on crack. Structuralist, this is the exact reason why i'm not here. i've been told *1* forum, period. no matter how much you try to explain to these people, they just don't get it! but, YOU are correct, having 2 forums in and of itself is not bad at all -- as long as they're within a reasonable amount traffic. very simple. yet, they say if you have 1 forum and split it to where it's kinda "2," that's ok! and as i always say, what's the difference between that and having 2? right! there is no difference!

good luck debating it with these people. most seem to all be brainwashed into thinking, "oh, oh, it's to keep the server load down." and they really chew you up for even mentioning 2.

and i'm probably the most understanding about resources (which is *solely* what it should be based on -- not the amount of forums, that's insane!), so i definitely wouldn't want to do any harm to the servers. but, what can you do.....

Loyal Client
    Doc!
    Sometimes it takes using a little reasonable interpretation. My profession is based on compliance to building codes. Those who understand the intent of the code are allowed to deviate from the letter of the law so long as they don't violate the intent of the code writers. I've always believed this is the best policy - if you don't understand the intent then follow the letter of the policy. If you understand the intention of the policy maker then design to be within these limitation. The final discretion is left to the policy makers who evaluate each forum based on bandwidth and resources.

However, to be fair, I have to admit that I did find the "fine" print which limits the user to one forum only.

Ultimately, this may create a problem with by forum and I may be forced to seek another web-host within the first 30 days to avoid conflict or to avoid losing members by returning to a more complicated board to navigate.

I believe I've comprimised by switching to a MySQL based forum using one database. Let's see what happens.

Loyal Client
    As a follow-up to my posts, I contacted tech support to ask for a ruling on this. I believe that their response to me is not applicable to all parties and I strongly recommend that if you are concerned about this, you write technical support and describe your forums and expectation of traffic and use.
    In my instance, their response was as I expected - there should be no problem as long as there is no abuse of resources or bandwidth. The are adamant that there be no forums using flat-file database formats and have asked me to remove any instance of the older YaBB forums (which I have on the site only to allow me to transfer settings, messages and member information).
    I've agreed to remove the older forums and suspect that they will monitor my site and alert me if there is any problem caused as the traffic to the sites increase.

Please don't assume that this a blanket allowance - I don't mean to speak for Aletia and believe that the decision must be made case by case. However, I found that they were very reasonable on this issue and I was willing to do what was necessary to stay within the intent of their rules.

When in doubt - ASK

alexodin
    DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR,
    I strongly recomend you, do not use words like "brainwashed", dont like it- leave the community.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2