Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on PHP and MySQL in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I am not familiar with databases (other than small ones for personal use). YaBB SE, an upgrade for my bulletin board software, requires PHP and ...

Loyal Client

PHP and MySQL

I am not familiar with databases (other than small ones for personal use). YaBB SE, an upgrade for my bulletin board software, requires PHP and MySQL be installed on the server to work properly.

Are both PHP and MySQL available as part of the plan? Assuming that my software only creates one database - is this covered in the basic fee?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Patty
    I'm now running YaBB SE (I beta-tested it, too):

http://www.williamgirdler.com/yabbse/index.php

It's an easy install at Aletia at the moment, but they are talking about switching their PHP to safe mode, which could cause some problems.

But at the moment, YaBB SE works great at Aletia -- and the php/mysql required to run it is part of the basic Aletia package

yes, php and MySQL are available now.

please read the FAQs and hosting package details before asking questions. thank you.

http://www.aletiahosting.com/hosting/
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Thanks for the advice Clio but I did read the FAQ. It does not specifically discuss PHP (other than adminPHP) and I am not knowledgable enough to understand the difference. It also does not tell me much about MySQL which I have not needed or relied upon in the past. The best advice for a newbie like me that put my decision into perspective came from Patty - a fellow YaBB administrator. I think she understands what I need and what my concerns are - Thanks Patty.

I am concerned with the information that Patty gave me because I intended to sign up for a year. I don't know if the change to a safe mode will make my discussion forum in operable and the primary reason for changing hosts is to obtain these services (Verizon basic service does not include MySQL or PHP). I will go back to the YaBB forums to see if they feel this could be a problem before commiting for a year's host contract.

Patty, thank you for your response - YaBB has a good presense out there but there is nothing like hearing from a fellow administrator for a YaBB site to get the answer that I need. I appreciate the help.

Patty
    I am concerned about the switch to safe mode as well -- I started a thread in "chit chat" over at YaBB SE about this very issue. Feel free to add to it.

They seem to think that it will be OK, or will require only minor tweaking.

There is a safe mode version of YaBB SE -- my concern was that something would go screwy upon the switch.

Loyal Client
    Thanks Patty,
    I just came from there. It seems like there is a work around or that most don't feel it will be a problem. I am going to sign up. Aletia will save me $20.00 a month over Verizon and I really like the community forum which brings a lot more help than Verizon is willing to offer. I can't even get them to respond to e-mail for $30.00 a month and 80 megs of storage.

I feel more comfortable knowing that there are other YaBB users here (such as yourself).

BTW, nice website

Patty
    Cool and thanks! Feel free to email if you have any questions while installing -- I installed my own board like 30 times during testing, so I can do it with my eyes closed now

Hail YaBB!!

alexodin
    Guys, I'm just curious, why did you prefer YaBB?

Patty
    Besides the fact it's free? :blush: (actually, it's not even free for me -- I always toss the dev guys a few bucks when they put out a new release -- but it's way less than I'd have to pay for, say, a vb).

My reasons are two-fold. I just always liked the amount of control I have with YaBB -- and the interface is very intuitive. I've personally never run into any problems with a YaBB board, which is not my experience with iBs.

The other reason is: when I installed an iB3 and asked my community to try it out, they all complained that they didn't like it. I don't quite know why -- I hadn't expected that reaction.

The YaBB SE support base is obsessive, patient, and dedicated. The open source aspect is useful, too.

The new YaBB SE is really fast -- at least as fast as the new phpbb and from my experience, it's faster than iB3.

Loyal Client
    Patty made me feel guilty for not donating to the YaBB development guys. Now that I have signed up for Aletia, I can afford to send something based on what Aletia is saving me each month.

You are not obligated to pay for YaBB - It is offered free and donations are accepted but not required. It is an open source software. In addition, there is tremendous support for modifications that advanced features often found on the most exensive boards. The latest incarnation of YaBB SE which requires MySQL and PHP as Patty pointed out - is not only faster and cleaner, but has incorporated many of the more popular mods into the program.

I think the most important reason why I use YaBB is the same as what I like about Aletia - the support forums are excellent and the peer-2-peer help is very good. Moderators are accessible and helpful.

Take a look at Patty's site and you might want to look at mine at:
    http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Mine is the default color scheme for the Gold Release I and Patty's is the new YaBB SE. Even the default color templates are well thought out.

There is support for the same message codes that you have on this forum and smilies and message icons are expandable.

This vBulletin is a nice piece of software but the annual price is still $85.00 a year or $120.00 for an unlimited license. This board is, in my opinion, equal to the new YaBB SE that you will see on Patty's board. Compare the appearance of both and then tell me if you would rather spend $85.00 or take the YaBB SE for free or a donation :weyes:

I've done enough selling - it's a hell of a software and I'm glad I found it!

Patty
    The new default YaBB SE template looks like this:

http://forum.powergamez.com/

(that's an Aletia site, too, by the way)

No need to feel guilty -- I think I've donated $30 this year -- $15 per release. Which isn't much at all considering everything those guys do -- it's beer money, really. I think the YaBBers appreciate people who can write cool mods more than $30. Up until last January, I had a crummy EZ Board (give me a break -- I had just started my site), so I basically took what I planned to pay for that and gave it to YaBB instead.

Loyal Client
    I wanted to do some investigating as I set up two discussion forums on Aletia using YaBB SE with one MySQL database file (and separate prefixes).

There is nothing in the Aletia rules that prohibit multiple forums as long as they are under the same domain name. I think the warnings refer to bandwidth usage - however, my forums which started as one forum were split into two to simplify navigation.

I really like the services that Aletia offers now that I am signed on and partially up and running. I have not transfered my domain yet as I want to spend the next few weeks working on the new website and working on the YaBB SE setup.

Patty - if you see this message - do you know if anyone on BoardMod or YaBB is preparing an Advanced Notify Mod for SE? I was counting on this to allow my users to participate while not having to log on to the board to check new messages.

I would also like to embed YaBB SE into another template (from a FrontPage 2002 Theme). I don't know how to do this and when I tried to copy the YaBB Template file into the body of the main table in my theme template I lost the theme formating.

Does anyone know how to embed a discussion forum into a website template without resorting to floating frames (which have compatibility problems with various browsers other than IE?

I would appreciate any help from those who have placed their forums into custom templates.

Originally posted by Structuralist
    I wanted to do some investigating as I set up two discussion forums on Aletia using YaBB SE with one MySQL database file (and separate prefixes).

There is nothing in the Aletia rules that prohibit multiple forums as long as they are under the same domain name.
    taken from Aletia's Terms of Service
    Only one instance of an online forum should be run from a single hosting account (even those with multi-hosted domains enabled). Forum software supported and recommended include vBulletin and phpBB (mySQL version). Forum software using flat-file databases (e.g. UltimateBB, YaBB, IkonBoard flat-file version) are strongly discouraged and may result in the suspension of the affected account.
    your only allowed one forum per account no matter what.
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Patty
    Technically, what you are doing is one forum split in two, assuming you are using one database. If your forum (s) grew especially big, I'm not sure if a technicality would hold water.

There's another way to create "multiple forums" utilizing user groups, but that would take more management work on your end.

Don't know about the advanced notification mod -- I wasn't sure it even worked for YaBB Gold. I think there are some more basic mods that will take priority over that -- but if you keep bugging them, some of the diehard modders might oblige.

Changing the template (embedding the board into your page) is a snap -- but Frontpage is a pain in the ass. You just need to design an html page and enter that in the template section -- making sure you place stuff like <yabb menu><yabb main><yabb uname><yabb news><yabb time> etc. inside your page. Those elements are your board -- so that's what you need to put into your html page. If you look at the current template, you want to change everything after </head>, basically. The text/css section at the top affects the board directly, as well as your link/font colors etc. There's a breakdown in the YaBB SE Graphics forum that describes what CSS attributes do to each section.

I honestly don't know how to explain it in clear Frontpage terms -- or maybe this isn't the information you're looking for. If I look at your site (which is a mite too big for my 1024 x 768 screen, by the by) -- you'd basically want to create a table right where you have the text "Home is a place not only of strong affections" -- and place the <yabb menu> <yabb copyright> <yabb main> etc. elements in that table. You'd want to remove everything else -- up to your own copyright.

Frontpage makes things SO difficult.

Loyal Client
    Patty, Thanks - I appreciate the help. Actually, Frontpage doesn't make it as hard as it seems - there are three views in FP; graphic view, HTML text and preview. The HTML view is the code for everything that you see.

I follow you through the YaBB codes. What throws me is where to place the information between the head section and the start of the table section. In other words, where do I place the formating information (Style, colors, fonts etc.). Does this go in the header section or in the large section of the table that you were indicating I needed to remove and replace info?

Thanks for looking at my webpage - actually this is the current page and I am in the process of writing a new website with a new template/theme. I'm simplifying the information on the page and this is why I wanted to insert my form into it.

Patty, if I sent you the HTML code for the Template page, would you be able to tell me where to place the formating information?

I've just spent the last couple of hours trying to figure this out and I think I am very close, but still missing some understanding.

As far as the multiple forums - I was actually responding to Whitty because I can not find anything on the Aletia terms and conditions that indicates you can only have one forum. The only references have to do with traffic (bandwidth) and this I understand, but you have to have a pretty large forum with some heavy traffic to run into this kind of problem. The type of traffic that my forum (and most) generate has a relatively low demand on bandwidth.

If I am wrong, I would appreciate anyone pointing me to the legal terms or conditions that states the limitations as to the number of forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast