Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on test forum? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Some messages I visit have a test forum, so posters can see what their posts look like and stuff. Is there a test forum here? ...

Loyal Client

test forum?

Some messages I visit have a test forum, so posters can see what their posts look like and stuff. Is there a test forum here?

Just curious, I wanted to see what my .sig looks like.

-Joe
    jvc113

hell no, we won't go!
    Nope, but you can always press [Preview Post/Reply]
    - Colin

I like food.

I think Joe has an excellent suggestion myself. One can't really see everything in a preview (avatar, usertext, time, etc.). But maybe the ability to edit your messages after posting them is enough. Right now I'm working on how my own signature appears and using this thread as the testing place.
    The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
    - Paul Valery

Royal pain in the @$$ timechange's Avatar
    Judging by the failed HTML in your sig, I think you are right
    Hot domain auctions on ebay: http://timechange.com/ebay/

Man, you're quick Timechange!

I was going to delete this post when finished experimenting with things. Anyway, the signature is fixed now. For some reason I can't set the HTML mode on in the user cp. But I got around it with the vB code. Still have a few posts to go before I can finally get an Avatar.
    - Paul Valery

hell no, we won't go!
    Originally posted by lookout
    I was going to delete this post when finished experimenting with things.
    Just FYI, you can't delete posts here. Not even us (the mods) can delete posts.
    For some reason I can't set the HTML mode on in the user cp.
    That's because HTML is disabled

Only 2 more posts before you get your avatar
    - Colin

I like food.

it takes like 5 min. to edit a sig and that's if you're really picky. and it's not like if i change my sig tomorrow, this threrad will still have the sig i have today. so it's all good.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

>Just FYI, you can't delete posts here. Not even us (the mods) can delete posts.

Ah, Dogma, so the Delete button doesn't work if you select edit message and log in? I was amazed actually to see that messages COULD be edited after posting. Nice feature, if you catch something after posting. It always seems mistakes pop out at you right after hitting that darned submit button. I thought the delete thing rather unusual in a discussion group though.

Anyway, I still think a test forum a good idea, Clio. Good place for new users to get a handle on how things actually work and gain a little confidence.

Nice to see all the signatures update themselves. I hadn't expected that.
    - Paul Valery

Just checked myself. The delete button does NOT work, as you said Dogma. But one can edit a post I believe. I'll be back in a minute to check with this note.

I'm back. Editing does work. So time travel of a sort IS possible.
    - Paul Valery

Just checked myself. The delete button does NOT work, as you said Dogma. But one can edit a post I believe. I'll be back in a minute to check with this note.

I'm back. Editing does work. So time travel of a sort IS possible.
    Yup! And there's a bonus: if you finish editing within a short time after the original post (1 minute, I think), the "last edited by" message doesn't come up. I've had a couple of times where I've hit submit instead of preview, and took advantage of that fact. It's cumulative, too: you can edit as many times as you want within the first minute, and nothing appears. (Yeah, I'm an edit junkie.)

There are limits, though. You can't edit a post from a couple of days ago, for example.

As for a test forums, that's essentially what "General Chit Chat" is for. It's totally free-form: except for profanity, anything goes. And usually does...

Thanks JKeller, those are good things to learn. Seems like a pretty reasonable policy regarding the time constraints too.
    - Paul Valery

Forgot to mention that it still seems to me that a test forum should be considered seriously here. It's a common enough thing Joe has mentioned, and there's probably not too much guessing about it's purpose.

No one other than the poster is likely to read the stuff or comment on it, providing a good environment to familiarize yourself with the newsgroup's functional peculiarities. The general chit chat forum invites others to read the posts and respond, which may be unwanted for some until they get their bearings. Just my two cents though. :weyes:
    - Paul Valery