Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Editor screwing up js code?... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Anyone else? I've got to get to work, but I'm going to drop a line to support tonight. Using the online editor today to change ...

Loyal Client

Editor screwing up js code?...

Anyone else? I've got to get to work, but I'm going to drop a line to support tonight.

Using the online editor today to change one little line of code in an external js file- which I do every time I update, and no problems before today. I saved, did a quick double check to make certain everything was working- and I was getting an error. Opened the js file back up, and when it saved, it had added a bunch of & to the file- which were screwing everything up. I was on another host that had the same issue.

Now I didn't have this problem the last time I updated, so I'm wondering what changed. Anyone else run into this? It's irritating to have to edit a single line on my computer and upload it, when before, I could just use the web based editor for such a minor change.

Can't you just use a desktop editor then just upload/download files over?
    Where do you wanna go today?

Loyal Client
    Not if, like me, he is sitting behind a firewall that doesn't allow ftp/telnet

The editor in file manager sucks big time:

If you have blank lines at the end of your file, it will add another one every time you save.

It eats escape characters. I used to format with escaped blank characters, but the bloody thing ate them all.

Sometimes it even escapes characters on its own! I have an exec SSI that every once in a while gets its quotes escaped

Loyal Client

Actually, I could use a text editor...

and upload it (no firewall, thankfully)- which is what I do when creating new files or making major modifications. To tweek one line, it's a pain.

Besides- I've BEEN using the browser based editor to make this change every single update until now. This is the first time it screwed the code. So, I'm thinking something must have changed. I'd be happy if they changed it back!

Loyal Client

My quotes are gone

Today, for the first time, the editor is eating all my quote marks in my html codes. Why is that??? Anyone know?/

I put them in the codes, go back and check 5 minutes later and they're gone.

Fouled up a <form> I was using.

Are the previous posts in this thread about the editor all connected?

Terri

Loyal Client
    Not only that, but it disabled my Javascript! The bloody thing changed

<script> ... </script> to <!-- script ... scr >

or something close to that.

Somebody messed with the code big time. I can't see why the editor would need to mess with that kind of thing

Loyal Client

Mine too

It is messing up my Javascript codes, also.
    It never did this before, and I have been with Aletia since August. I'm on Scorpion.

Loyal Client

I did NOT have this problem today...

using the online text editor to change another external js file- and I modified/saved/modified/saved a couple of times. I'm hoping that means it was a temporary glitch and has been resolved. I'm on eagle. Hope that signals an end to the problem for everyone.

(If it starts doing it again, I'll note it here. It's REALLY irritating!)

Ron
    I strongly recommend anyone using UNIX systems to learn vi.

It's on EVERY machine.

Just my nickel's worth.