Web Hosting Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Help please in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I'm trying to set up this script and I'm getting an error message. I was told by support to use home2 instead of home. I ...

Loyal Client

Need Help please

I'm trying to set up this script and I'm getting an error message. I was told by support to use home2 instead of home. I would rather not contact support unless necessary. Can anyone tell me why I'm recieving a 403 with the variables below? Is anything obviously wrong?

# Type the full path to your Mail program
    $mailprog = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';

# Type the full path to your Subscribe Me directory
    # We highly recommend a "non-web" directory. This will protect
    # your address list from snooping individuals. If you are unsure
    # if you have access to such a directory, contact your host to find out.

$memberinfo = "/home2/username/subscribe";

- i have set up this directory, subscribe, outside my www

# Type the full path to your Administration Password directory
    # We highly recommend a "non-web" directory. This will protect
    # your address list from snooping individuals. If you are unsure
    # if you have access to such a directory, contact your host to find out.

$passfile = "/home2/username/subscribe";

The script file, subscribe.pl sits in my CGI bin. To call on it I am using...

htttp://www.mydomain.com/home2/username/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl

...and recieving the error

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Loyal Client
    probly need to take the home2 out of the url >.<

home2 is refering to the absolute path if im nto mistaken

altho im not clear on what the exact problem is

hell no, we won't go!
    This is the Wrong forum, I'm sending it over to the CGI section...*poof*
    - Colin

I like food.

Loyal Client
    47 views and only one reply!:bawl: Can someone please help me out, I would rather not contact support if I can avoid it. I'm new at this but I've followed teh directions to a tee,and no go. Could it be a server probelm?I'm on cobra.

alexodin
    well I'm not a CGI expert

1. I'm not sure about "home2", try to use "home"
    2. What is the script your are trying to install?
    Can it be script problem?
    Can you ask the author about it?
    or may be there is a kind of support forum for tha script fans...
    if that will not help, there is a possibility that something is wrong on Aletia server. You will have to ask them, but make sure that you are sure, that this is not a script problem first.

Loyal Client
    Thanks for the reply Alex

The script is a version of Subscribe Me Lite (freeware). There is no support available. My knowledge of CGI is non-existant, thats why I was hoping someone could look at the variables and see the problem.

Another member of this board(Waldo)who has installed this script on another host, tried it on his Aletia account and couldn't get it to run. After Waldo tried helping I contacted support and te said to cahnge all instances of 'home' to 'home2'. No go.

I'll wait a day or so, and then contact support, if no one can help me out.

Thx,
    Japhi

alexodin
    hotscripts.com has tons of scripts, may be you can select another one?

Loyal Client
    Why would I select another one? This script is used on thousands of website...

Loyal Client

Another member of this board(Waldo)

I'm famous

Yes, I did recommend this script to Japhi. After he contacted me for support I tried installing it on my Aletia server (Scorpion).... I hit the same problems as Japhi, which is strange. The script is very good - so much so that I've even had it running without any problems on an IIS based server

At the same point I was helping Japhi I tried to install it on another host and it worked first time. In total I've installed this particular script on 4 or 5 hosts without any problems, apart from Aletia.

If no one else can help I would suggest contacting support once more. I wouldn't normally contact them for support in installing a Perl script, but in this case I believe the errors are entirely to do with their setup.

I'll try a few more setup options tonight and see if I get anywhere.

Loyal Client
    Wheres Waldo?

Thanks for your help eh. I'll screw around with it today and contact support tommorow if it's no go. I agree with you about not bothering support over a Perl script, but I need to know if its my bad or theirs. If you get anywhere can you send me an email Waldo?

Thx again

Loyal Client
    No problem.. I've still to test it, but I will do shortly. If I have any luck I'll get in touch

Just Walking...
    Any updates on what the current problem is? I assume the initial problem has been fixed....

I don't know if you need help now but I could certainly have a go at running down any code problems that might prevent it working on the aletia servers

Loyal Client
    Japhi, take up G.Bloke's kind offer... my Perl knowledge is limited. I tried once more tonight to install it, playing about with different settings, but to no avail. (Getting the 403 Forbidden error)

I still think it's an issue with the Aletia servers, since, as I said before, I've installed this in minutes on 4 or 5 other servers.

Just Walking...
    Right as more than one of you are having this problem I'll post here rather than sending an email direct

I've had no probs installing it and this might just be because of my server configuration (scorpion) but I'll go through it step by step.

1. Two version of the software are available, you want the unix version because the servers here are linux

2. Edit the subscribe.pl changing you paths
    (/home/username/subscribe/)
    The email and perl paths are correct

3. Create the subcribe directory and chmod it to 777 (another option is available upon request)

4. Upload subscribe.pl to your cgi-bin and chmod it to 755

5. Goto http://www.yourserver.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl

Let me know how you get on, if you get further errors let me know and I'll try to sort them.

Loyal Client
    IT WORKED!

Thanks for the help Mr.Bloke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast