Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Quick Forums Question..... in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
I have read that Aletia only permits 1 forum. Did not see much of an elaboration on this, so my question is........ What constitues {1 ...

Loyal Client

Quick Forums Question.....

I have read that Aletia only permits 1 forum.

Did not see much of an elaboration on this, so my question is........

What constitues {1 Forum}???

[sidebar]

Please tell me that Aletias Forum set-up is considered 1 forum!!!!

Thanks

Loyal Client
    1 forum means 1 forum per account (that actually is on aletia, not a link) u can use the search tool also since this is a common question for quicker answers. if each user had 10 forums on their account it would run aletia down quite a lot since a forum uses alot of aletias resources

it just means you can only install 1 piece of bulletin board software on your website.
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Yep, one instance of ikonboard, phpBB, YaBB, vBulletin, etc. You can divide that up into as many little categories as you want, but you can only have the scripts installed once.

The Aletia Forums here are indeed a good example of "one forum setup."

Loyal Client

OK....... Breathing again now

Thanks,

Poy13
    Clio
    and of course Nothlit........

I appreciate the input, and the fact that you guys cleared this up for me!!!

Have a Great Day

also note that the board has to use a mysql database as it's backend. you can't use 'flate file' (textfiles) boards like ubb and some ikonboards
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Loyal Client

yes indeedy

We have our eye on phpBB, actually.

This script comes highly recommended from Sitepoint.

Not to mention, seems their is a thread here about the fact that ikonboard isnt that good on Aletia's system. So we certainly dont want to cause them any more trouble than my inexperience will certainly cause.....:weyes:

Seeing as how we have not installed anything yet, we are certainly open to suggestions.

phpbb is a good board indeed. many like it. version 2 is still in beta form and has bugs that still need to be worked out.

xmb is another good one. they took down there 1.5 beta's because of to many bugs so the only one you can download is 1.1 which is somewhat old and lacking features.

burning board is a great board. it's free and has basically the same features as this vbb. it's templates are all in .htm format which makes it easier to customize to your liking.

search around and find out which is best for you.
    Nomsane?
    That is all.

Loyal Client

Thanks everyone!!!! for the suggestions

Well, I think I screwed things up big time.....

Over the last few days, of going in circles. Tried to install vblite, BurningBoard, and phpBB........ all 3 to no avail!

Certainly this is the reason, our site is not accessible now!!! (unless we got one of those wolly-buggars)

Oh Well, time to "back up and punt" now.

:weyes:

Loyal Client
    If you're on the cheetah server, it's currently having load problems. That could be why your site's not accessible, and not the forum scripts. Then again, I could be wrong...

Loyal Client
    Originally posted by Nothlit
    If you're on the cheetah server, it's currently having load problems. That could be why your site's not accessible, and not the forum scripts. Then again, I could be wrong...
    Am I confused or what???? My control panel says the machine name is tiger.nocdns.com! Does that translate to "CHEETAH"
    gawddddddddddd how I am hoping!!!!!

Thanks Nothlit!

Loyal Client
    No, tiger is tiger. tiger is not cheetah. I was simply asking because you hadn't said what server you were on, so I didn't know.

Loyal Client

Nothlit, thanks!

Everything is okie dokie again!

The problem was a simple ftp config problem with a new software ( wsftp pro )

The support here is pretty awesome, and along with you guys helping to get me on track.

Machines are only as good as the humans putting info into it! hahaha {This is what I have to learn- HOW TO DO- }

Support (Ron) even helped me get on the road with a forum - vbulletin Lite - planning to upgrade in a short time, to full-on vBulletin.........

~~~~~~~~

Thinking his lengthy search for a solid "Web Hosting Provider," has certainly paid off!!!