Web Hosting Forums

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a Search Script? in the Hosting Talk & Chit-chat forum
Hi, Just a quick question. I'm looking for a search script to implement on a forthcoming site. Hopefully should have some of the following: Customisable ...

Loyal Client

Recommendations for a Search Script?

Hi,

Just a quick question. I'm looking for a search script to implement on a forthcoming site. Hopefully should have some of the following:
    • Customisable looks for search results
    • Be easy(ish!) to install.
    • Be simple to look after (since I won't be running the site this is vital)
    • Must have the ability not to spider certain directories / files on the site (user definable)

Any recommendations? I don't really have a lot of time to download a lot of scripts from Hotscripts, so just looking for a script that someone has already implemented.

Thanks,
    Andrew

- Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Sorry Clio, I should have made it clearer that it's a perl only script that I was after.

Apologies for the confusion - that script does look good and I will keep it in mind for future use

Any other recommendations?

Loyal Client
    Just to follow that up... I thought I had found my saviour in csSearch. It looked very good, had nice admin options and was highly rated @ Hotscripts. However, it states in the readme that it's best if it's run outwith the cgi-bin, which is a big no-no. It can be altered to run with the files residing in different places, but I hit that many problems on it, I really don't want someone else to use it!

Save me from this hell of trying to find a good 'un

sorry chap, didn't see the perl part.

in that case, there's something called perlfect search which i like very much.

http://www.perlfect.com/freescripts/search/

i like perlfect search because it uses meta tags and it's easy to install and use.

here's something i've come across:
    http://www.kscripts.com/scripts.shtml
    - Julie
    Student / Web Developer

Loyal Client
    Thanks for those two tips Clio, both look very good - I've just downloaded them and I'll hopefully try them out later tonight.

In theory one of them should suit my requirements, but I'm not having much luck with Perl scripts at the minute! Once more, thank you for your assistance

Loyal Client
    I use ksearch on my personal site. My searching needs aren't particularly demanding; but for simple searching, and excluding certain files and directories, it seems to work just fine. Installation was reasonably painless.